The Wimpification of Wisconsin

| 4 Comments | 3 TrackBacks

I went to Milwaukee this past weekend with Shane and Cheesehead Craig to check out the Twins-Brewers series. I’ve gone to Milwaukee 5 of the past 6 years and it’s always a great time. This year was different as the Twins were the team that was struggling and the Brewers were making some noise in the win column.

We toured Milwaukee a bit and even went on a Miller Brewery tour. Saturday was a gorgeous day, 85 degrees a little muggy, very sunny. However as game time approached at about 6:00 a few clouds were rolling in. Imagine our surprise when we get inside the stadium and the roof is 2/3 closed! The Brewers were afraid of a little rain. By the 3rd inning the roof was entirely closed. After the game it appeared that maybe it sprinkled but only lightly and it was still easily in the 70’s. Oh yea, Scott Baker shut down the Brewers, Torii goes yard and the Twins had a nice win and take the first 2 games of the series.

miller1.jpg Miller2.jpg
Miller Park 2/3 closed, then closed!

Sunday was a much brisker day – windy and cold. It was probably around 50 degrees when the game started. Again the roof closed. Not my favorite but a little understandable. However by the middle of the game it was sunny and probably about 60 degrees. Did the Brewers open the roof? No. We had awesome seats, the Twins got out to a nice lead then Ortiz remembered who he was and gave up the lead. Twins lost.

Miller5.jpg
Check out these seats!

Now it was bad enough to have the roof closed when it should have been open at least for all of Saturday and most of Sunday’s game but what was worse was the Brewers fans defending the closing of the roof! “It might rain on the field, it was chilly, fans expect to be comfortable…sniff? Remember these are people who would pack Camp Randall or Lambeau on a chilly November afternoon and think nothing of it. Clearly the roof at Miller Park is making Wisconsinites a bunch of weather wimps. Don’t be surprised if the Packers start looking into putting a dome over Lambeau, it’s only a matter of time.

Miller4.jpg
Funny, you never see this side of Miller Park in promo pictures

The over use of the roof at Miller Park is one of the main reasons why I’m glad the Twins aren’t building a ballpark with a retractable roof. It’s too tempting to always use it, even at the slightest provocation of bad weather. In Milwaukee the roof closed pretty quickly and quietly. They have obviously fixed its problems. There is no reason why on Saturday night they could have quickly closed the roof if by chance it rained harder than expected. Baseball is meant to be played outdoors in the elements and the roof should be used only as a last resort. If my kid’s little league team can play in a drizzle or in 95 degree heat, surely the pros can too?

Anyone else go to Milwaukee this weekend? How was it?

3 TrackBacks

The roof was closed as a courtesy to the Twins. Under outside conditions they start flopping around like fish out of water (Smell 'em Twins!).

Nobody wants to see a whole team have a siezure after being exposed to natural sunlight and air.

I guess that explains what happened last night in Arlington, TX

I was in Milwaukee in spirit, not in body. The roof thing... it takes what, 15-20 minutes to open/close it? Maybe they didn't want to take the 15 minute delay-of-game to open or close it? I've got no answers on that one. Maybe they just like to make sure it still works... after the first couple of years when it, well, didn't. :)

Where are the haikus? I need haikus!

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on May 22, 2007 9:11 AM.

30 Best Loved Albums - Overrated Albums was the previous entry in this blog.

Friday Random Top 10 is the next entry in this blog.