Summer Movies

spidy.bmp

Well the three big “3? movies have now come out (Pirates, Shrek, Spiderman) and I’m assuming most people have seen them. As expected each movie is making oodles of money but after huge opening weekends, there has been steep drop-offs in ticket sales. Although none of the movies can remotely be considered a bomb, each movie will probably fall well short of the box office efforts of their sibling releases.

I came out of each movie entertained but somewhat disappointed. What’s interesting is that I found the same fault with all three movies in that the filmmakers tried to shoehorn too much stuff into each movie. I can just hear the director of Spiderman saying, what’s better than having one villain? How about two? Then someone pipes in “hey let’s have three villains!? Sure three villains may sound cooler but it muddied the movie. Spiderman v. Sandman would have made a taut, thrilling movie. Spiderman 3 couldn’t explore deeper the whole Sandman character because it also had to deal with Venom and the Goblin. The end result being that all three villains were given short shrift.

The same could be said for Shrek and Pirates. There were so many characters having so many issues to resolve that each individual character wasn’t fully realized. This was an acute problem with Shrek, especially since it clocks in at a tidy 85 minutes. An additional 10 minutes may have actually helped. In the end it was the same old jokes and wry commentary on pop culture and fairy tales. Much like cotton candy, it just kinda melted away and was forgotten about by the time I got to the parking lot. The final battle in Pirates was awesome to behold, the effects were stunning and there was little there to suggest that most of it was CGI. However what was the deal with Calypso? It made no sense, added nothing to the picture and was a distraction. At 2 hours and 45 minutes plus, Pirates could have easily been cut down to a more manageable 130 or 140 minutes. Again too many characters, too many subplots to explore and try to resolve, and not enough selective culling. Was it better than Pirates 2? Absolutely, hands down. Was it as good as Pirates 1? Not even close.

It seems that the makers of the blockbusters are so worried that they have to amp up the WOW! factor that they add characters, sub plots, and set pieces at the expense of storytelling and identifiable characters. A few, well directed, incredible scenes are all we need, more than that just waters down the whole movie. Spiderman 3, Shrek 3 and Pirates 3 are good counter-examples of why sometimes less is more.

Summer Movies planning to see:

Knocked up
Transformers (looks absolutely amazing)
Harry Potter
Simpsons Movie
Fantastic 4 (good mindless fun)

What do you think of the movies thus far? What movies are you looking forward to seeing?

Hi!

I'm an intern at theU.com scouring the web for student bloggers, and I like your writing!

We're starting up student-edited blogs as an alternative to the usual. Check out gawker.com or dirtyveritas.com (our newly launched Harvard blog!) as examples and get back to me at emma.dozier[at]theU.com if you're interested, or you know, would like any form of clarification.

Thanks!! --Emma

I pretty much wait for everything to come out on DVD, but I may make an exception for Transformers if I can find a theater with a captioning service, since I'm not expecting dialogue to be crucial in that one, anyway. :-)

Otherwise, my big summer blockbuster will likely be 300 when it finally gets released on DVD.

I thought Spiderman 3 was the best of all of the Spiderman movies, although there were a few "cheezy" parts during which Spiderman was becoming arrogant. Overall, it was very entertaining and the special effects were fantastic. Spiderman 3 is going to have a great influence over Halloween costume popularity this year.
www.spiderman-costumes.com

The Zune concentrates on being a Portable Media Player. Not a web browser. Not a game machine. Maybe in the future it'll do even better in those areas, but for now it's a fantastic way to organize and listen to your music and videos, and is without peer in that regard. The iPod's strengths are its web browsing and apps. If those sound more compelling, perhaps it is your best choice.

Between me and my husband we've owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc.But, the last few years I've settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

I imagine it is. Very good stuff, will stop by later.

After looking all round Pang Tong remarked, "Wu Qi the Great General*, came to life again, could not do better, nor Sun Zi the Famed Strategist* if he reappeared! All accords with the precepts. The camp is beside the hills and is flanked by a forest. The front and rear are within sight of each other. Gates of egress and ingress are provided, and the roads of advance and retirement are bent and broken."
"Master, I entreat you not to overpraise me, but to advise me where I can make further improvements," said Cao Cao.
Then the two men rode down to the naval camp, where twenty four gates were arranged facing south. The cruisers and the battleships were all lined up so as to protect the lighter crafts which lay inside. There were channels to pass to and fro and fixed anchorages and stations.
Pang Tong surveying all this smiled, saying, "Sir Prime Minister, if this is your method of warfare, you enjoy no empty reputation."
Then pointing to the southern shore, he went on, "Zhou Yu! Zhou Yu! You are finished. You will have to die."
Cao Cao was mightily pleased. They rode back to the chief tent and wine was brought. They discussed military matters, and Pang Tong held forth at length. Remarks and comments flowed freely between the two, and Cao Cao formed an exalted opinion of his new adherent's abilities and treated him with the greatest honor.
By and bye the guest seemed to have succumbed to the influence of many cups and said, "Have you any capable medical people in your army?"
"What are they for, Master?" said Cao Cao.
"There is a lot of illness among the marines, and you ought to find some remedy."
The fact was that at this time Cao Cao's men were suffering from the climate. Many were vomiting and not a few had died. It was a source of great anxiety to him cheap new era hats, and when the newcomer suddenly mentioned it, of course he had to ask advice.
Pang Tong said, "Your marine force is excellent, but there is just one defect. It is not quite perfect."
Cao Cao pressed him to say where the imperfection lay.
"I have a plan to overcome the ailment of the soldiers so that no one shall be sick and all fit for service."
"What is this excellent scheme?" said Cao Cao.
"The river is wide, and the tides ebb and flow. The winds and waves are never at rest. Your troops from the north are unused to ships, and the motion makes them ill. If your ships, large and small, were classed and divided into thirties, or fifties, and joined up stem to stem by iron chains and boards spread across them, to say nothing of soldiers being able to pass from one to the next, even horses could move about on them. If this were done, then there would be no fear of the wind and the waves and the rising and falling tides."
Coming down from his seat, Cao Cao thanked his guest monster beats by dre, saying, "I could never defeat the land of the south without this scheme of yours."
"That is only my idea," said Pang Tong. "It is for you to decide about it."
Orders were then issued to call up all the blacksmiths and set them to work, night and day, forging iron chains and great bolts to lock together the ships. And the soldiers rejoiced when they heard of the plan.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on June 6, 2007 8:45 AM.

30 Best Loved Albums - Workingman's Dead/American Beauty was the previous entry in this blog.

Friday Random Top 10 is the next entry in this blog.