It's Potter Time

vold.bmp

Unless you have been living under a rock these past few months you know that Friday at Midnight is hour zero for Harry Potter fans as the last(?) Harry Potter book comes out and after 10 years, seven books, and nearly 4,000 pages we learn what finally happens between Harry and Voldemort. In addition, the movie version of the 5th book – The Order of the Phoenix – is in the theaters entertaining Harry fans young and old alike.

Our family got the Harry Potter books early on and began by reading them to our kids. Actually my wife read them, although I filled in from time to time. I never fully read the books until the summer of 2005 when the penultimate book – The Half-Blood Prince – came out. I spent a large chunk of that summer reading books one through six in order, over 3,000 pages, to get caught up. Although not necessarily my favorite type of book, I have to admit Rowling can tell a good story and I whipped through them pretty quickly. I’d say Goblet of Fire was my favorite book.

I also went to all the movies and although not great art, have appreciated that they have stuck close to the books and have brought the movie public along for the ride pretty well. That blasé attitude changed with Order of the Phoenix which I think is by far the best Potter movie so far. The book’s new characters, Luna Lovegood and Dolores Umbridge, were perfectly cast and the movie captures quite well the darkness of the story and Harry’s teenage angst. This is not a kiddie movie but a struggle between good and evil. The stakes are much higher here and you feel in it this movie.

As for the final book – The Deathly Hallows – we have a copy on reserve at Barnes and Noble and I am sure we will pick it up sometime on Saturday or Sunday. However I can’t wait and I took a look at the .pdf file that someone put on the web where they took a picture of each page in the book. I of course didn’t read every page but I checked in on a few characters. Don’t worry no spoilers here, although I am sure by Monday or Tuesday that everyone will know what happens. I will say that the book DOESN’T end with Harry, Ron, and Hermione at Hogsmeade, Hermione putting a coin in the jukebox and then you turn the page and its nothing but white. However if you don’t believe that I saw the ending of the book, I’ll give you this non-spoiler: The second to last word in the book is the word “was.?
harrypotter.jpg

What are your Potter predictions?

UPDATE: nytimes.com has a review of Deathly Hallows. Slate.com has a nice book club discussion going on regarding the book.

I really appreciate this post. Iˇ¦ve been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thx again

As I web site possessor I believe the content material here is rattling magnificent , appreciate it for your efforts. You should keep it up forever! Good Luck.

We are a bunch of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with valuable information to paintings on. You have done a formidable process and our entire community might be thankful to you.

The first type of possible blackmail is the least dangerous. Rising prices of gas imported to Slovakia from Russia would have two effects: recession in those branches of slovak industry, which needs a lot of energy to work normally, and the increase of the price of the gas for the individual customer, which would be a serious damage to many slovak households. The first effect would most probably affect whole of fast developing slovak economy, because of the decline in economic growth of whole Slovakia, which can for example postpone the slovak entry to the euro-zone. The other effect will just increase the expenses of Slovak (e.g. heating or cooking expenses), and would lower the standard of life of many slovak families

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on July 19, 2007 9:10 AM.

OMG - Hootie is Sick!! was the previous entry in this blog.

Friday Random Top 10 is the next entry in this blog.