« Friday Random Top 10 | Main | Who's to Blame? »

30 Best Loved Albums - Favorite Overlooked Albums

2007 will bring the 30th anniversary of my first rock concert (Kiss, December 2, 1977 – Metropolitan Sports Center). In honor of that momentous event I have decided to use this blog to review my 30 best loved albums. They will not be in any order or progression but I will try to review them musically and why they mean so much to me. I’ll also note if they made the Definitive 200 List.

Sorry for lack of posts, I've been on vacation and dealing with family illness. This week I am going a slightly different route and want to discuss albums that I liked but hardly anyone else noticed. Below is a list of albums that were generally ignored by music lovers. Some may be critically loved but for the most part know one, knows about these albums but should.

husker.jpg

1. Husker Du - Warehouse: Songs and Stories . O.k. I cheated, you’ve probably have heard of this album. But it was criminally overlooked when released. It loses some steam at the end, but that’s typical of a double album. The first 3/4 of the album blows me away 20 years after it came out!

2. Yung Wu – Shore Leave. An off-shoot band of The Feelies, with infectious little songs. Not available on CD, I had Twin Tone Records burn for me an individual copy so that I could hear it once again.

3. Waco Brothers – Freedom and Weep. I reviewed this album here. Great country rock that will lift you off your feet and on to the dance floor.

4. Handsome Family – Milk and Scissors. Great music from the best husband and wife goth-country band out there. The song Amelia Earhart and the Dancing Bear haunted my dreams for an entire summer a couple of years back.

5. Kelly Hogan and Pine Valley Cosmonauts – Beneath the Country Underdog. I am a sucker for big voiced woman singing country torch songs. That’s all you need to know about this album.

What are your favorite albums that have been overlooked and that no one has ever heard of?

First 20 albums reviewed:

1. Pretenders – Pretenders (3/12/07)
2. Replacements – Let It Be (3/19/07)
3. Nirvana – Nevermind (3/26/07)
4. Johnny Cash – American Recordings (4/2/07)
5. Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand (4/9/07)
6. Bob Dylan – Blonde on Blonde (4/16/07)
7. Beatles – Abbey Road (4/23/07)
8. Rolling Stones – Some Girls (4/30/07)
9. U2 – All that You Can’t Leave Behind (5/7/07)
10. Elvis Costello – This Year’s Model (5/14/07)

5 Critically Acclaimed Albums I don’t get (5/21/07)

11. Woody Guthrie – Dust Bowl Ballads (5/28/07)
12. Grateful Dead – American Beauty/Workingman Dead (6/4/07)
13. Lucinda Williams – Car Wheels on a Gravel Road (6/11/07)
14. Loretta Lynn – Van Lear Rose (6/18/07)
15. Jayhawks – Rainy Day Music (6/25/07)
16. Husker Du – Land Speed Record (7/2/07)
17. Gang of Four – Entertainment (7/9/07)
18. Smashing Pumpkins – Siamese Dreams (7/16/07)
19. Rage Against the Machine – Rage Against the Machine (7/23/07)
20. Green Day – American Idiot (7/30/07)