Flaming Lips @ The Myth

lips2.jpg

What if I told you I went to a concert on Sunday night and the show opened with big yellow balloons filling the floor, yellow confetti falling from the ceiling in amounts that would concern the most blasé Fire Marshall, people dressed as space monsters and in Santa get-ups on the side of the stage, and the lead singer sporting hands the size of big screen TVs hugging other band members, the space monsters, and Santa outfit wearers? You’d probably say “whoa, next time don’t take that 4th hit of acid.? Or you could say, “so how was the Flaming Lips show??

Yes, The Flaming Lips at the Myth Nightclub, former site of a Bed Bath and Beyond, right next to the Ashley Furniture Super Store, a place perfect for a bunch of Oklahoma freaks, the ones who’s grandparents didn’t travel west to California during the dust storms, but remained on the farms to harvest the dust and battle the ‘cats. The band that has defied odds and have been around for over 20 years bombarding their fans with weird music and live shows that just about defy description.

When you go to a Flaming Lips show you know you’re in for a spectacle and Sunday’s show didn’t disappoint. Besides the jaw dropping opening, fans were equipped with lasers to shoot on stage. During one song, the lights went down and everyone pointed their lasers at a white-suited Wayne who was holding a mirror. The scene of 2000 lasers pointed at a mirror and reflected back was absolutely stunning. In addition, balloons the size of hotel laundry bags filled the air and complemented the video screens of squirrels wrestling, space monsters in cheerleader outfits dancing, a mic cam providing extreme close ups of Wayne’s face when he was talking, and enough confetti to welcome home Neil Armstrong.

So you ask ok the show was eye-popping but what about the music? Answer: Awesome. Below is a set list and for the most part was pretty good. I would have liked a few more from Transmissions From the Satellite Heart, which is one of my favorite albums, but what the heck that album is some 15 years old. Highlights for me included The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, Yoshimi, Pompeii, and Free Radicals.

Ta Da!
Race For The Prize
Tapsmir
Free Radicals
Flight Test
Mountain Side
Vein Of Stars (with lasers!!)
Yoshimi (Low key version)
Riding To Work In The Year 2025
Pompeii
Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
Taps -> Waitin For A Superman
The WAND
Do You Realize??
E1: She Don’t Use Jelly
E2: Moonlight Mile

lips1.jpg

Finally there was a strong message that came through all the madness and that was that it’s alright to have fun. It’s ok to let your hair down for a few hours, dance with some space monsters and bounce a bunch of balloons around. I think that’s the key to The Flaming Lips improbable two decades of popularity. They don’t take themselves seriously and you shouldn’t either. What can be better than being happy knowing that you’ve just spent a few hours listening to great music and collecting a pocketful of yellow confetti? It’s that pure joy of having fun that will change the world and even if it doesn’t, at least you can forget about all the world’s problems for a couple of fun-filled hours.

Who else went to the concert?

Yep, that was a great show, Free. It was an honor to weasel my way onto the floor with you!

For me the highlights were "The W.A.N.D" and "Vein of Stars" ... that laser pointer trick was fricken awesome. I wish they would have played "The Gash" but that is a minor quibble.

So, you want to go again when the Lips come back through the Twin Cities?

As you know, Free, I was also there. Great show, although, I think I'd lose my mind if I saw them more than once (maybe that's the point). Loved their cover of the Stones Moonlight Mile! Also loved having beers at Broadway Pizza beforehand and checking out dressers at Ashley Furniture! Just kidding.

I was there! The lasers were indeed awesome, though I was a little disappointed not to see Wayne's cosmic hamster ball. I thought it was a great show.

I should have mentioned that I went with Shane and we met Jeff T at the show. Shane really appreciated my shooting lasers into his eyes!

I'd see the Lips again but I would like to go to an event like the state fair or some other music fest, seems like it would be even crazier.

i went to the chicago show! it was the most dazzling concert spectacle that i have witnessed in years!! shannon, sorry that you didn't get to see wayne roll off the mother ship in the human hamster wheel. it was quite the sight! it would have been a most awesome evening ,if not for the 5 meathead, frat boyz who squeezed onto the floor in front of us just before show kickoff. idiots like that should stay home in their parent’s basement where they belong (or the sports bars). in the end, the payback with the laser pointers in the face was sweet, although the wife was none too happy with me taunting the testosterone fueled punks.

Glad to hear from you Timmy. Many times I've been that testosterone fueled punk. However I ride single and not in a pack.

As I web-site possessor I believe the content material here is rattling fantastic , appreciate it for your hard work. You should keep it up forever! Good Luck.

Yeah bookmaking this wasn't a bad conclusion outstanding post! .

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you're just extremely fantastic. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you're stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it smart. I can't wait to read much more from you. This is actually a great website.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on September 11, 2007 8:30 AM.

30 Best Loved Albums - More Songs About Buildings and Food was the previous entry in this blog.

Once - The Movie is the next entry in this blog.