Friday Random Top 10

Down in Wabasha a 5th Grade Catholic School teacher was summarily fired because she got pregnant and isn’t married. The Principle and the Priest trotted out a sheet of paper that the teacher signed saying that basically she will be a morally upstanding person. Apparently pre-marital, procreating sex goes against that paper she signed.

My nephew goes to this school and I know a little more than what’s been in the paper or on the news. The school community is really torn up about this. Teachers are going to quit, some families are going to leave the school, and a young single mom-to-be will have no means to support her coming child. Now the Priest and principle are well within their rights to fire the teacher. But is it right? What kind of pre-natal care will this child now get? How will this young mother be able to raise a child without health insurance or money for rent, groceries and diapers?

Sometimes it seems like our leaders and institutions are more worried about the theory or principles behind their actions than the how those principles are carried out in the real world. It’s why there is so much cynicism these days. Don’t you wish you could go up to the Priest and Principle and say “how can you be pro-life when you are going to deny a mother the means to make sure she has a healthy baby?? I would then follow up by asking “In this time of Lent, when we read and study the Beatitudes in our Masses, how can you act in such a manner that is contrary to Jesus’ teachings?? I wouldn’t hold my breath for a decent answer.

With that, here’s this week’s top 10:

1. Whiskey Marijuana (live) – Supersuckers
2. Black Wave – The Shins
3. I Can’t Get Next To You – Al Green
4. Watch Your Step – Elvis Costello
5. Ornithology – Bud Powell
6. Just – Radiohead
7. Family Tree – Loretta Lynn
8. Ballad of a Thin Man – Bob Dylan
9. I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry – Cowboy Junkies
10. My Best Was Never Good Enough – Bruce Springsteen

What’s your Top 10?

First body-painted "swim suit" models, now criticizing the Catholic Church...I think you're going to Hell, Free! :-)

Hands down, Apple's app store wins by a mile. It's a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I'm not sure I'd want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on February 15, 2008 8:48 AM.

Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue was the previous entry in this blog.

The Great Abyss is the next entry in this blog.