New Ballpark Perspective

mp_main_wide_twinsstadiumpostcard.jpg

Over at Minnpost.com David Brauer has an enlightening slideshow demonstrating some of the features of the new Twins ballpark. What is really interesting is a comparison of the seats in the Metrodome v. seats in the new ballpark. Here's the link.

Of course there are features we all know about and have seen in newer ballparks such as open concourses, more restrooms, seats that actually face the field, and a gigantic color scoreboard. What’s more, from these slides you can see that the lower bowl seats will be much lower than the lower deck of the Metrodome. However, because of the club seats and suites, the last rows of the upper deck will actually be slightly higher. (Which plays right into the concerns Spycake brought up last week with this post). Less rows, however, so easier to get to the rest rooms or the concourses. Interesting note: The “tiara? of lights that will surround the ballpark is actually higher than the roof of the dome!

Anyway, I am excited and can’t believe that in two years from now we will be literally weeks away from the first outdoor Twins game in a generation. The ballpark looks like it will be gorgeous. Also, even thought it was frustrating waiting so long, I think the wait has ensured that we are getting a ballpark that is baseball focused. In the early part of this decade there were a number of new ballparks that opened that didn’t put baseball first. Instead the teams felt like they had to add other features or artificial quirks to their ballparks. I’m thinking of the amusement park in Detroit and the “hill? in Houston. Fortunately the pendulum has swung the other way for the Twins. No forced and artificial “retro? look. No quirky features meant to evoke the Green Monster or Ivy-strewn fences, no artificial or retractable roofs hulking over the site. Just a clean, simple design, with modern features; place to soak in the sun, sit back, and watch a baseball game.

What do you think of the design?

They really emphasize the shorter rows and more legroom. Indeed, the Twins' stadium drive was founded on overwhelming public concern about leg discomfort and long bathroom trips!

Interesting to see the confirmation that the "cheap seats" have indeed been eliminated. Our closest link to the roots of baseball attendance, the minimally-priced general admission ticket, will have vanished completely from the major leagues. We're making history!

I guess the design is inoffensive as far as modern stadiums are concerned, but I personally won't enjoy the increased social stratification (extra barriers and dividers abound, even within decks and sections). At best the whole thing seems unnecessary and superfluous to my enjoyment of sporting events, but who knows -- maybe someday I'll cherish fond memories of the wide concourse and quick trips to the bathroom.

I'll bet the taller Twins fans like Shane will appreciate not having to worry about scheduling a visit to the chiropractor after attending a game. :-)

I think it's also worth noting that even with the higher prices, I'm pretty sure Twins tickets still work out to be the most affordable among the Minnesota sports franchises, though if the Timberwolves' attendance struggles continue, that could change.

And don't forget about those knotholes! Who else has those?

If a stadium is built in an abandoned warehouse district and nobody sees it, is it really there?

I think it's also worth noting that even with the higher prices, I'm pretty sure Twins tickets still work out to be the most affordable among the Minnesota sports franchises

Ah, the lesser of two evils view?

Don't get me wrong -- the longer schedule and daily games is one of my favorite things about baseball. It still has nothing to do with building a new ballpark that squeezes/prices out fans, though.

Actually that would be lesser of four evils, which I think is more impressive than just two evils. :-)

I guess the way I look at it is the Twins are really in a no-win situation in some respects. If they keep prices down, they can't afford to keep or sign top players and fans will bitch. If they raise prices, fans will also bitch even when those revenues get used to keep or sign top players.

Granted, there's the argument that Billionaire Carl could fund the team's payroll from his own personal wealth, but show me what other business operates on that model? Not even the Yankees do that.

I'd say MLB needs a salary cap, but given that the other three major sports leagues have them and the local franchises still have higher ticket prices than the Twins, I'm not sure that even that would make a difference.

Did you guys forget you live in Minnesota? We might have a "hulking retractable roof" in Milwaukee, but we haven't had a game rained out at home in almost a decade. We've hosted teams like Cleveland who's games would have been canceled due to a blizzard, and I haven't left a Brewer game with frostbite since the time of Milwaukee County Stadium. Regardless, best of luck with the new stadium. Here's to a Brewers/Twins World Series.

Hey Dan, thanks for stopping by. Data has shown that the Twins are in for 2-3 rainouts at most per year. Is that worth $125M for a roof and an ugly design. I don't think so.

Also the problem with retractible roofs is that teams feel that they have to use them. I've been at Miller Park with the temps in the upper 50's and the roof is closed! Too many times teams close the roof in anticipation of poor weather.

I agree a Twins-Brewers world series would be super super cool.

Also look at that image again, it's two years old and looks almost exactly like the real thing. 4 weeks from today!!!!!

It is a magnificent looking stadium and so far from what I've seen on TV, it's going to be one of the most beautiful ballparks in Major League Baseball.

The only problem is, that it is in Minnesota and it's outdoors, which means any post season play that is to take place there, will mean it will be down right freezing. But, Knowing people in Minnesota, that won't bother them a bit.

Love the Stadium!

What do you do about students who talk too much? Are there techniques you have for dealing with distracting comments or comments that do not move the discussion forward?

Yeah, what Dave said.

Oh, and how the chain of command that stuck them into this stupid position? Going to let them off scott free, hmmmmm?

Nice site! Thanks for posting this! Be back soon keep it goin.

You actually know what you're talking about.

This invaluable advice indicates this much to me and further more to my peers.

Esto es muy útil para info.Thanks escribirlo.

i hope that it assists because it helps me alot.. ..and occasionally even when i have writers block and i'm doing some thing else to take my mind off of my composing, i come across a time when i Wish to create more of my story just because i guess my writer’s block is cured, so occasionally the correct time comes to you, i guess sometimes all u have to do is wait.. ...i know i dont make sence but try obtaining watever u can from my answer and see if it works!!

Se trata de un blog.I super encanta venir contenido here.You es grande.

Great job putting forth this information, it will certainly serve to educate some people; and hopefully more than a little.

Thank you for sharing it. I am for sure going to look for a copy.

I am glad to see that there is an appreciation for all of them that are recipients, they have a major role in the operations

Hands down, Apple's app store wins by a mile. It's a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I'm not sure I'd want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

An interesting dialogue is price comment. I feel that you need to write extra on this topic, it might not be a taboo topic but generally individuals are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers

Very interesting points you have remarked, appreciate it for posting . "I've made a couple of mistakes I'd like to do over." by Jerry Coleman. Thanks.

The printing on fake kids uggs will be less sharp.

Trade Shows in India - Directory of Trade Fairs, Exhibition, Trade Events, Conferences and Business Seminars held in India. Find here details information about Details on http://www.indiantradeshows.com

There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don't know if I see all of them center to heart.There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further.Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well

This coach outlet online exit is the topic of Apple and now with handbags in abundance in the attack has to beat one more Empire above shops.

But as time goes on lv bags they desire to uncover a ideal Louis Vuitton bags handbag for them to create them much more sexy

Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and I'm impressed! Very helpful info specifically the last part :) I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this certain information for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

Проститутки Киева – это существенный атрибут всякого праздника у парней. Коль уж Шлюхи Киева предпочитают вагинальный секс – то индивидуалки несомненно укажут это в своих сервисах которые они оказывают

I just got up from nap and I am already reading your articles. This signifies something! Really useful info. Thnx!

I'm just writing to make you know what a amazing experience my girl obtained reading through your blog. She came to understand several things, which include what it's like to have a very effective coaching character to make a number of people without difficulty gain knowledge of a number of extremely tough subject areas. You actually exceeded readers' expectations. Many thanks for churning out these warm and helpful, trustworthy, educational and as well as easy thoughts on your topic to Tanya.

It looks like we have to wait for a while I guess. Hope it won't be more than a few days though.

Hey! I just wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the great information you could have right here on this post. I can be coming again to your weblog for more soon.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on February 28, 2008 10:22 AM.

Pawlenty Gets Vetoed was the previous entry in this blog.

Friday Random Top 10 is the next entry in this blog.