My Favorite Musical Artist

Mariah.jpg

From time to time I want to use this blog to talk about certain artists that have really spoken to me. Who’s talent and body of work make me glad to be alive. Of course, like hopefully many readers of this blog, Mariah Carey will always top that list.

Mariah Carey made her recording debut in 1990 under the guidance of Columbia Records executive Tommy Mottola, and became the first recording artist to have her first five singles top the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. Following her marriage to Mottola in 1993, a series of hit records established her position as Columbia's highest-selling act. According to Billboard magazine, she was the most successful artist of the 1990s in the United States.

Able to hit eight octaves with her voice, Carey has demonstrated it’s not so much the song as the voice that is important. Glamorous, multi-ethnic, omni-talented as a successful recording, film and TV career has demonstrated, Mariah Carey is well positioned to continue to be a 21st Century mega-star. But not only is she talented, she is smart and has her head on straight. There is strong evidence that Mariah Carey could taken on Bono-status as a champion of middle class debt relief, or the use of compact florescent light bulbs.

The ying to Bob Dylan’s yang. The Sigfried to Johnny Cash’s Roy. The Penn to Paul Westerberg’s Teller. Mariah Carey is one of those artists who’s talent, grace, and beauty will always move me.

Who’s your favorite artist?

For me, it's all about Englebert Humperdinck. Until tomorrow.

Nice April 1st post, Free!

On a serious note, this is too cliche, but for me, it's probably Prince. Yes, he can be wacky, but find me someone with more talent.

yeah & ely, minnesota just got sold to canada. nice one!

Mariah Carey is the ying to Bob Dylan's yang.

May that not end up on your tombstone.

SBG, if you consider that the concept of yin and yang describes two opposing and, at the same time, complementary (completing) aspects of any one phenomenon then Mariah Carey is the Ying to Bob Dylan's Yang might have been the most coherent thing I wrote.

I'll admit that when I first saw this post in my reader I was like WHAT??? because I saw it on Wednesday and not Tuesday. She has her head on straight... heh.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on April 1, 2008 8:58 AM.

Baseball 2008 was the previous entry in this blog.

Mekons, Greil Marcus, and Mary Lucia is the next entry in this blog.