Pope Benedict XVI Visit

benedict.jpg

Three years ago Catholics were heartbroken when “The People’s Pope? John Paul II died after a long and successful Papacy and was a few weeks later replaced by Bavaria’s Cardinal Ratzinger. Elderly, conservative, dour, the papacy of Pope Benedict XVI promised to be short and uninspiring. Modern Catholics hoped that Pope Benedict XVI would be a transitory figure slotted between the populist John Paul II and some future, younger, worldly (hopefully liberal) Pope.

In those three years, however, Pope Benedict XVI has proven not to be at least not so dour. Of course he is still elderly, and basically conservative, but his genuinely pleasant demeanor has come through in spades. This was particularly evident in Pope Benedict XVI's recent visit to the United States where Benedict won over the faithful with public masses at Nationals and Yankee Stadiums, visits with Church sexual abuse and 9/11 victims, and visits to a Synagogue and Mosque.

The Press even tried to get the Pope to weigh in on such hot-to-trot social issues such as homosexuality, but Benedict wouldn’t take the bait, claiming to only want to talk about the sins related to the Priest sexual abuse scandal, but not linking the issue to homosexuality as some anti-Church conservatives always like to do.

All-in-all a successful visit, and probably the only one we’ll get during this Pope’s lifetime. I think most Catholics were impressed with what they saw and probably have a gentler attitude about Pope Benedict XVI and his Papacy.

I still think he looks too much like Palpatine from Star Wars, but other than that, my opinion is probably generally favorable.

If you google Pope Benedict one of the first images that pops up is Benedict shooting blue lightning from his fingers.

Someone I work with visits your site quite often and recommended it to me to read also. The writing style is excellent and the content is relevant. Thanks for the insight you provide the readers!

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on April 21, 2008 2:53 PM.

Friday Random Top 10 was the previous entry in this blog.

Another Bridge Closed is the next entry in this blog.