T-Wolves Season Mercifully Over!

wolf0317.recap.jpg

Well the Timberwolves season came to a merciful end last night with a fun overtime win over the just as lousy Milwaukee Bucks. No one had a lot of hope for this season, only that it was setting a foundation for future glory. So what did we learn:

• Al Jefferson can be an elite player. He obviously knows how to score, now let’s improve that defense. Also the team needs to play him at power forward not center.

• Ryan Gomes can be a dependable NBA player, Randy Foye has some shimmy to him as well. Sebestain Telfair is a decent back-up point guard. Hopefully the Wolves can keep all three with decent contracts (I’m looking at you Sebestain Telfair).

• Corey Brewer has good defense but needs to bulk up. I am not convinced those skinny legs can support a bigger body. While the consensus best player at the number 7 pick, Brewer was a disappointment this year. Hopefully with some bulk and experience he can improve.

• How Marco Jaric ever was able to get that huge contract, I’ll never know. He has no touch around the basket and takes away much more than he adds to the court. No sure if Doleac can play defense. Mad Dog while lots of heart has no game. McCants is a head case that sometimes can play, Craig Smith is a center in a small forward’s body. Goodbye Greg Buckner, Chris Richard and especially Antawn Walker.

The biggest problem facing the Wolves (well beside the fact that McHale is still running the team) is that they play in the Western Conference where it takes 50 wins just to be a 8 seed. Even if they double their wins next year, they might miss the playoffs. Hopefully they get Derek Rose in the draft (not Beasely he overlaps with Jefferson too much). But more importantly they get another player who can contribute, is not a head case, and fills a need – of which the Wolves have in abundance. Oh and if the Wolves draft Ray Hibbard I’m going to shoot myself in the head.

What do you think about the Wolves season/future?

Walker is under contract next year for big bucks.

And Jaric has three (!) years left on his contract. Hopefully a team is willing to take Walker on so that they get an expiring contract. God know's who's gonna take Marco off our hands.

If only you still had Bracey Wright to fall back on.

I think you meant Roy Hibbert.

I really doubt the Wolves draft him since they're basically guaranteed a top-seven pick according to the Strib and he's been sliding, but I do think they should be looking at a center if they can't get Derrick Rose.

Keeping opposing defenses from double or triple-teaming Al by playing a functional true C would be the next best way to improve the offense if Rose isn't available when they pick.

I'm not totally discounting McHale being able to move Jaric. He did move Blount, who is even more useless and had a worse contract. The bigger question is what do you have to take back in return in order to accomplish moving Jaric?

Thanks again Mark for typo catch. What about Kevin Love? Is he a true NBA center?

I think Kevin Love is a bit undersized to be a true C.

But more importantly, I don't think he brings the defensive presence that is needed at C.

I actually like Hibbert, just not where the Wolves are likely to select. If they didn't get a top 2 pick, I'd be perfectly OK with them trading down and taking Hibbert somewhere around 15-20 or so.

Remember that the best Wolves team in history had Ervin Johnson at C. In some cases, talent is less important than being willing to and physically capable of playing your role.

O.k. Snyder I propose a deal. I'll back off on my Kevin Love proposal if you back off Hibbert. Let's just acknowledge that neither will be a serviceable NBA center.

Knowing McHale, he'll probably trade Jefferson and a draft pick for a broken down Shaq!

Actually, given McHale's recent track record, he'll probably draft some from Kansas about ten spots too early. :-)

OK - so I'm a total nerd, so I was looking at the ESPN draft stuff and you know who looks good?

Marreese Speights from Florida. Though his name will drive you bonkers trying to remember how to spell it. :-)

great pic and i agree with you

Hiya, I am really glad I have found this information. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and web and this is actually frustrating. A good site with exciting content, that is what I need. Thank you for keeping this site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.

And we took too many shots.

You don't have to feel like a waste of space .

I just couldn't depart your web site before suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard information a person provide for your visitors? Is gonna be back often in order to check up on new posts

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on April 17, 2008 8:25 AM.

John McCain Fails Econ 101 was the previous entry in this blog.

AndyYou thought the McCain Girls were bad.... is the next entry in this blog.