We get It - TPaw doesn't like transit

LRT.jpg

Do you see a pattern here:

Central Corridor LRT -- $70,000,000
High Speed Rail St. Paul to Chicago -- $4,000,000
Southeast Express -- $500,000
Bottineau Corridor Transitway - $500,000
1-94 Corridor Transitway - $750,000
I-494 Corridor Transitway - $500,000
Red Rock Corridor Transitway - $500,000
Robert Street Corridor Transitway - $500,000
Rush Line Corridor Transitway - $500,000
Southwest Corridor Transitway - $500,000

Those are all the transit projects line item vetoed by Governor Pawlenty yesterday. What I don't understand is that the Hiawatha Corridor has been considered a nice success. Ridership is higher than anticipated by the doom and gloomers (I'm looking at you Tax Payers League) and with gas soon to reach $4.00 a gallon, public transit is going to become a more important component of a multi-modal transportation system that should include resources for cars, buses, trains, bikes, and walking. By vetoing money for transit we are going to keep the Minneapolis-St. Paul area mired in lousy highways and greenhouse gas-spewing automobiles. For a Republican who is generally on the good side of global warming issues, I am surprised by T-Paw's total lack of support of any future public transit for the State of Minnesota.

Nice example of leadership, you'll go far in Washington, D.C.

My guess is T-Paw singled out those projects because of the transportation bill override.

Which only goes to show he's a petty SOB that should nicely replace Darth Cheney. I'm sure the GOP can beat that global warming stuff out of him by September...

But if transit now has a sales-tax increase dedicated to it, why are all these transit projects in the bonding bill anyway?

Good Questions Spycake. The best I understand it is that all these projects were anticipating some sort of State participation, the sales tax increase for transit wasn't anticipated to pay these amounts, even though sales tax revenue would go to help pay for most of these projects.

Also most of the money vetoed was for studies, maybe there is a prohbition against the sale tax revenue paying for studies.

I think Free is basically right.

The way I understand it, the local sales tax is intended to mostly contribute towards operational costs for transit, not so much for construction costs.

Here's a link to an overview of the Joint Powers agreement that the participating counties set up: http://tinyurl.com/6mef9u

I'm not sure that the sales tax revenue goes 100% to operations, no doubt a large chunk does.

The problem with the Pawlenty veto is that all these projects anticipate funding from a variety of sources, including the state. The LRT one is especially egregious since the Feds, local govts, the university, and the counties all had skin in the game, and then the State doesn't come through with their commitment.

Isn't it time government stops trying to dictate behavior (transit) and starts providing what the 'people' empower it to do? (build roads).

The vast majority of people do not want and will not ride public transportation. Deal with it and move on.

Open Mind (sic): Well if you read what I wrote above, I admitted that transit needs to part of a transportation system, which would include roads. We've built roads for 75 years and we still fill them up as fast as we build them. Clearly we can't solely rely on roads to get us out of our transportation mess. Add $4.00/gallon gas and don't come complaining to me when you can't afford to fill your SUV every 5 days and the buses are too full.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on April 8, 2008 10:25 AM.

Friday Random Top 10 was the previous entry in this blog.

McCain Girls - They're Back!! is the next entry in this blog.