Obama Wins!

so-cool.jpg

Finally, it's over with Barack Obama the nominee. I thought the three speeches last night were a fantastic study in contrast and could actually be taught in classes of political persuasion.

First McCain was just awful. In front of some lime green screen in a high school gymnasium with about 200 obviously bused in supporters. It was old, it was tired, it was zzzzzzzzzz. Sorry, fell asleep just thinking about it. The speech was bad enough on its own but then compared to BHO, it was dreadful. Whoever thought it was a good idea to have McCain give a speech right before Obama should be fired.

Hilary, oh Hilary. Why does it always have to be about you? Her speech was petulant, it was small. It was all me, me, me. It was even condescending. She's directing people to her web site so that they will send her more money. She doesn't congratulate Obama, she still claims she is the popular vote winner (which is false btw). Fine don't concede just yet but at least have a little bit of grace and humility, class even. If you didn't think this race was about Hilary only and not what is best for the Democratic Party or the country, I don't see how you could hold that same view after watching that classless speech.

Having the bar lowered practically to the ground, it didn't take much for OHB to shine, and he didn't disappoint. Right from the beginning with Michelle, who gave him a little fist bump and thumbs-up, Barry had the crowd. What was nice was that it wasn't about Obama. It was about us. He took it to McCain also, not just pointing out McCain's flaws and closeness to Bush but also contrasted against 2000 McCain. Reminding us that not only will McCain be tied to W, but also to a former, more pure version of himself. The speech ended on a rousing note with the crowd:

...if we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth. This was the moment–this was the time–when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals.

UPDATE: Here's a pretty good recap by someone who was there.

Wow. Now that is a speech. Any way the prelims are over. Let's get to the main event!

Totally with you on this. I was hoping you might have a firsthand account, but my guess is getting a ticket for that event was nearly impossible.

Sounds like Hillary finally has grasped reality.

Did you see Go-Go score from 2nd base on Mauer's sac fly? Holy shit! I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that before.

Me, me, me? no it wasn't. She praised Obama in her speech...Didn't You see it? Quit acting like everyone believes every word you say, we all saw it! Guess I know who U are for...

Dude, whatever you say.

Except that the speech was practically universally panned for the same reasons I expressed above. Oh and the speech wasn't about Hilary? In a 21 minute speech, interrupted by appluase, she uttered the words I, Me or My 81 times or nearly 4 times a minute. Yes the speech was all about Hilary Rodham Clinton.

Hey Free, as I admitted on my blog, I am as confused as ever when it comes to the Presidential election. I've had a lot of conversations with people about the election, and I am finding people have a love/hate relationship with Obama. People literally love the guy and look at thim as almost a "savior" or they hate him and look at him as someone who could lead this country to ruin.

Polarization is what I'm finding. And being a "middle of the road guy," I personally am confused.

I knew this would happen.

Jeff T.

Hey Jeff, you know what I think I will make my case for Obama next week in this blog, look for it. But I will say one thing.

The republican supporters are really shooting themselves in the foot by overstating their case against Dems. That's why the republican brand is so down in the dumps these days.

Remember when Keith Ellison was going to bring an Islamic Agenda to the the Capitol if elected? What happened to that?

Has your marriage suffered because of legal Gay marriage in MA?

Do you really believe Obama is a secret Marxist, or a Muslim, or hates America? When republicans make those statements they do themselves no favors because when they inevitably don't come true, everyone else takes the doomsayers a little less seriously.

So basically listen to the arguments that the anti-Obama people are making. Do they really make sense or are they grasping at hyperbole because they got nothing else?

Hey Free - I don't believe that Obama is any of those things that you mentioned. That, to me, is just paranoia from Republicans.

My main concern with Obama is in the area of foreign policy. I would have the same concerns with any candidate with his background (lack of experience).

Hey Jeff, I think experience is vastly overrated. (to a point of course, I don't want say Paul Westerberg as President.) Anyway I will address this issue next week.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on June 4, 2008 8:00 AM.

Monday Music List - Favorite Elvis Songs was the previous entry in this blog.

Friday Random Top 10 is the next entry in this blog.