« The McCain Girls - Back and Better than ever!! | Main | Friday Random Top 10 »

Why I Support Obama

so-cool.jpg

Last week I promised that I would explain why I support Barack Obama and will be voting for him this coming November. The intent is to hopefully convince those people who aren’t necessarily Democrat or Republican but vote for the best person out there, regardless of party. Let’s face it, that describes a whole lot of the electorate -- many of whom are not enamored with John McCain and are intrigued by Obama but are worried that Obama doesn’t have the experience to handle the job. Reasonable concerns I admit.

First my support for Obama does have partisan intentions. I typically vote Democratic (but not always) and I would like to see the Republican Party, as currently configured, assigned to the dust bin of history. Obama promises a 50-state strategy that, if pulled off, could literally make the Republicans a niche party of racist southerners, uneducated Appalachians, and assorted cranks, conspiracists, and Fox News blowhards. There is a left-of-center political re-alignment that is just ready to flower and Obama can help make that happen.

Admittedly that reasoning isn’t going to assure fence sitters, moderates, and just-kicking-the-tires former Republicans. So I offer this: I believe that Obama promises to be a transformative President in our Country’s history. One of the strongest images we send to the world is our moral standing. The crux of our Constitution and Declaration of Independence -- offering equality for everyone, freedom of speech and religion, the opportunity to do what you want -- is still the beacon for most of Earth’s population. That image has been sullied in the past, more so recently. By electing a half-black man with a funny sounding Muslim name, we are telling the world that we still live by those ideals and that if someone like that can be elected to the most powerful position in the world then the America truly is that shining city on the hill that Ronald Reagan spoke of so eloquently. Our standing on the world stage will increase precipitously.

Now I am sure some of you are thinking who cares about “transformative President? What I want to know is if Obama can stand up to some tin pot dictator in Iran or a Russian thug like Vladimir Putin. I argue yes. First Obama just went head-to-head and beat the most formidable candidate for president in a generation. I know it was the Democratic primary but the Clintons play presidential politics to win and Obama stood up to them and won. I have a feeling that facing someone like the Junta in Myanmar or some world leader wannabe in Venezuela will be peanuts compared to Hilary Rodham Clinton and her desire to be president.

Furthermore I like the response Obama is giving in light of some of the criticisms that Democrats typically face. When confronted with the charge that his policies and positions “don’t support the troops? instead trying to look tough and out “military? his critics, Obama correctly points out that supporting the troops means more than a yellow ribbon on the back of a SUV. It means having a war policy that is well thought out, with troops that are properly equipped and given a mission that they can accomplish. It means treating those troops who have been injured with respect and dignity. Obama has been his own man when facing criticisms of his policies. There is no reason to believe he won’t be his own man when representing the Country abroad or against internal special interests.

Other arguments against Obama has been his lack of experience. Unfortunately the results of those who have had experience in government does not make one rally around the experience card. All would admit that Governor Pawlenty has had years of experience prior to becoming Governor. Why then could he not understand that you need money to maintain bridges and roads or they will fall apart? Many of the people who planned the Iraq War had years and years of governmental and military experience. Washington D.C. is littered with failed policies developed by politicians who have had years of experience. It think what is more important is what kind of experience you’ve had and how you use it, and how willing you are to change your assumptions based on new information -- not that you’ve put in a certain amount of years. All indications point to Obama having this kind of experience. Finally, the economy is probably the single greatest issue facing our next President. John McCain has admitted that he hasn’t spent much time thinking about economic issues during his 20 plus years in Washington. I am not sure Americans can afford someone who has demonstrated disinterest in such an important issue.

There are many other aspects of Obama’s background and governing style that make him a much better candidate than John McCain. His understanding of technology and how it is used in modern life is in a different galaxy than that of McCain’s -- who admits he doesn’t use e-mail, the internet, etc. Obama also has an opportunity to be a positive roll model for black males, which would be a huge improvement over self-absorbed professional athletes and misogynist rap stars that are typically looked up to as heroes. Obama’s policies and inclinations toward health care, global warming, fair taxes, the economy, and rights for women and homosexuals are more in line with what mainstream Americans think than those of John McCain and the Republicans. Finally, although an inspirational speaking style does not necessarily make for good policies, it will be nice to have a leader who is articulate, can speak in cogent sentences, who can make an argument that uses logic and rationality rather than fear and spin to persuade and inspire.

There it is, that’s my argument for Barack Hussein Obama. What do you think? Who are you supporting and why?

I will be voting for Obama because I agree with most of his policies. I believe that the $6 billion per month wasted in Iraq should be spent on fighting Al Quada in Afganistan. After all, Al Quada only makes up 2% of the population in Iraq. I believe that all Americans deserve health care, even if their employer chooses not to give them benefits. I believe that that the middle-class deserves tax breaks because we need them, unlike oil companies and those making more than $225,000 a year. I believe that our nation must invest in alternative energy now, and we must have a leader that realizes our country wastes way too much oil compared to the rest of the world. We need a fundamental change with our energy policies, and we can't settle for a short term plan of drilling in Alaska, Colorado, or California. We need to create eco-friendly jobs in our country in sectors like biodiesel, solar energy, and wind turbines. I believe that our leaders should inspire American citizens, not scare them. I believe that regular people need to take back our government. I believe in government transparency and eliminating the influence of federal registered lobbyists and politcal action committees. I believe that we must take care of our troops. We need more VA's in rural areas, and I support Jim Webb's GI Bill, unlike some Republicans that voted against it. I believe that the Republican brand is dead and the progressive movement in America is the future.

Obama / Biden '08

Obama / Biden '08

Sorry for the double post

At this point, I know I won't vote for any Republicans for anything, so that rules out McCain. Since I lean Green, my choices appear to be Obama or to register my displeasure by voting for McKinney. Had Clinton won the Democratic primary, then my decision would have been made and McKinney would get my vote.

Since Obamaa managed to pull off the upset of the century, I'm basically now waiting for Obama and his supporters to convince me that he deserves my vote.

I will say that Free's post helps me get closer to that point, but I'll be watching to see what kind of campaign Obama runs against McCain.

Wats up Mr. President. Mane im proud to said that. U are my role model! I appreciate want you have done for me! Its hard because of the white people dont wont u to become president because some still dont like black people today.Im really from Arkansas, I from the area where the KKK got started so i real know what u going throught! I real havent had nobody in my life to look up to my father wasnt there and my mother work two jobs to support me and my little sisiter. What i real want to said is THANK YOU!!! You change me!! You made me look pass the bad influnces, and try to become something i know my mother would be very proud of. THANK YOU!!!!

Free - good post, but I must admit that I remain unconvinced. However, it is not your job to convince me. I certainly admire your convictions.

I believe Obama is saying "all the right things" to get elected (which he will in a landslide) and literally is promising the world. He has virtually promised to end the war, reverse global warming, turn around the economy, etc. In fact, it sounds like you have rather high expectations when you believe that "Obama promises a 50-state strategy that, if pulled off, could literally make the Republicans a niche party of racist southerners, uneducated Appalachians, and assorted cranks, conspiracists, and Fox News blowhards." That sets the bar pretty high for a man who has been an Illinois Senator since 2005.

When Obama gets elected, the expectations for this man will be immense. There are people who are looking to him as almost a savior (see previous comment). I hope for his sake, and the sake of the Democratic party, that he can fullfill some of those expectations. Otherwise, we'll be looking at the second coming of Jimmy Carter.

Jeff T.

Hey Jeff, all politicians from dog catcher to President over promise what they will do if elected. Why are you holding Obama to a higher standard? Is it because of his soaring rhetoric you're worried that people's expectations are that much higher? And why the comparison to Jimmy Carter? I see no similarities between the two.

As for my comment on the plight of the Republicans. I think that any Democratic candidate for president that runs a 50-state strategy has an opportunity to roll over the R's. The Gore/Kerry Strategy of trying to win 16-18 key states is a proven loser. A 50 state strategy not only offers the D's many more opportunities to win, it builds a ground game of up and coming D's that can compete for other elections. It's the reason why the D's had a viable candidate in the three special elections this Spring that they won in Republican-leaning districts.

How will Obama handle all these "projects" that are active abroad. Obama will inherit so mush trouble that I actually feel sorry for him, mayby he won´t even get a chance to prove his worth within the 4 years. So many people feel so bad for USA that a black man with a african name won´t be enough to make it okay again, they remember what USA did who ever was the chief.

It is strange that you in one part of your submission on Obama refer to him as half black then later refer to him as a black man. Now you have confused the you know what out of me. Is a black man or is he a half black man? And if he is a half black man then why would those who are black men and youths follow him, because then they are following a half white man.

I also want to know something else that you may have an opinion on. He is half Kenyan and half American. Do you not think that being of two different worlds will be detrimental to what he does IF he manages to win? He does not hold complete allegiance with either Kenya or the U.S. because he is of neither, but of both. It is the old saying that you can't serve two masters because you will love one and hate the other. Being of both may make you a better person, but probably won't make you the best president due to having ties to both.

Also, being an articulate speaker does not indicate that a person will be a good leader, it only indicates that you have extra training to be an articulate speaker. Many who attend black churches are enabled to develop their articulate speaking abilities from a very young age as they are invited to take the pulpit as early as age six.

One more thing, with only 143 days of service at the national level, I am not sure he is groomed to the level of service that will be required of him. Being president of this nation is not like being a senator who can simply jaunt off on a commercial jet. There is very little freedom of movement for a president. Going home to Hawaii on the spur of the moment will no longer be possible, but will require far more logistics than a mere whim.

You've got to be kidding me Eileen. You're really worried if president Obama will have mixed allegiences with Kenya? Surely you can come up woth something other than that.

Also I'm not sure what the big deal is going to Hawaii to see his aged grandmother during the Olympics when few are paying attention to politics.

If that's what is worrying you about Obama, I suggest you do some soul searching, I have a feeling it something else that bothers you about Obama.