« Monday Music List - Reunion Shows I will not be attending | Main | Mongol »

Jesse Helms - Good Riddance!!

jese.jpg

Jesse Helms died this past week and while I feel sorry for his family I feel no remorse for his passing. You see Jesse Helms was an avowed racists and used his position of power to push his racist views. Among other things, Helms was an strong believer in black intellectual inferiority, an hysterical opponent of interracial marriage, called the 1964 Civil Rights Act "the single most dangerous piece of legislation ever introduced in the Congress," and said of civil rights demonstrators, "The Negro cannot count forever on the kind of restraint that's thus far left him free to clog the streets, disrupt traffic, and interfere with other men's rights." Helms' "vision" of civil rights for African-Americans was that there should be none.

Want to read more about Helm’s odious views? Click Here.

What concerns me is that the obituaries and commentary over Helm’s passing whitewashed over these views. Reading about Helms over the weekend and you’d never even know that he was a white supremacist and, unlike George Wallace or even Strom Thurmond, maintained those view until the bitter end. Have we gone so far down the road of political correctness that we can’t even call out someone who held and promoted views that are embraced by only a few far right cranks and dead-enders?

So long Jesse Helms, don’t let the door hit you in the ass as you pass through the gates of hell.