NYC 2008

106_1744.jpg

So for the 2nd time in two years, the family spent over a week in Manhattan. Both times we were lucky to use someone’s apartment so that we could avoid the $250+ a night hotel room fees. We were also in some cool neighborhoods: two years ago in the heart of the West Village, this year in the East Village. Instead of giving a travel log (on Wednesday we went to….) I’m just going to give some perspectives.

First New York is extremely busy. Late July is the high tourist season and many New Yorkers don’t leave town until August. So the streets were absolutely packed. Crazily so. Also since the dollar is so low compared to other currencies, there are a lot of foreign tourists too, taking advantage of a cheap vacation. It was much more crowded this year than in 2006.

Even though (because of?) the streets are so busy, in two visits and nearly 20 days of visiting, we have never felt threatened, seen a crime, or been subject to anything that would be considered even mildly threatening. Of course we are in touristy areas, but we are out late at night sometimes. I went to NYC a number of times in the mid-1980’s and there is a big difference. Also some parks that were open drug areas (Thompkin Square Park, Union Square, Bryant Park) are open, safe places to spend time with your family.

Some highlights include the Museum of Modern Art and the Salvador Dali exhibit, Rockaway Beach in Brooklyn, Bryant Park in mid-town, and a David Letterman taping. We saw Wicked on Times Square. There were a lot of teenage girls at the show and the story definitely was geared to that age group. It was a classic big Broadway show with over the top sets and huge songs. I was a little disappointed that the Wicked story intruded on the original Wizard of Oz story a little more than my liking, but still it was a fun time.

Now for the quiz. The photo above is a current picture of something very (kinda?) famous. In fact any male over the age of 35 should know exactly why that building is well known. Shane, this is your surprise and you should especially know what it is. Just a hint, you may know this image from something in the past so it won’t be exactly how you remember it. Know what it is? Use the comments section. This image was a few blocks from where we were staying in the East Village and is indicative of the architecture found throughout that part of the City.

Is this the building used for the Physical Graffiti album cover?

Here's the proof, although you didn't get anyone to sit on the left stoop.

There you go. The cover of the Led Zeppelin album Physical Graffiti. This site is located at 96 and 98 St. Marks Place. Something tells me the rents are a little higher now than in 1975.

If you look at the picture carefully you will notice that the building has 5 floors but the album cover only shows 4. According to the Wikipedia entry, one floor was cropped out so that the picture would fit on the album.

Shoot! I couldn't think of it. Dag blast it! I should have gotten this one!

Good photo Free. I must admit it didn't even dawn on me. I didn't even know it was a real building!

Don't beat yourself up Shane, although I'm guessing you spent hours looking at this album cover with headphones on listening to In My Time of Dying and Kashmir.

Maybe the extra floor threw you off?!

I think it was the coloring or darkness of the album cover. Didn't match your picture at all.

Plus, "In My Time of Dying" is a fantastic song. Good call on that one.

Fab post guy, arent you a teacher. I imagine so. Respect, Susan

What do you do about students who talk too much? Are there techniques you have for dealing with distracting comments or comments that do not move the discussion forward?

Which do you think would be crazier; ignoring your financial issues, or walking in your front door every day and being in your bedroom? You know... it's your home. Does it really matter which 4 walls surround your bed anyway? Believe me, if you ever do have company over, they will understand, and if they won't then why do you like them enough to invite to your home anyway?. . Besides, there's the payoff of owning a home of your very own that much sooner. I think that if you want that badly enough, then what you plan on makes absolutely perfect sense.. . -SD-

I agree with your NYC 2008 - Lost Forest After Dark, wonderful post.

Nuttige informatie, hier kan ik erg veel mee bedankt!

After being Rickroll'd do many times I'm actually really starting to love this song:). Thumbs up if u can agree with me:)

Lady Gaga cried for a week or so once she learned how exactly how amazingly well her latest album ended up selling. The singer was unable to keep her sentiments in check for the reason that she was so overcome by just the very good responses to her LP ‘Born This Way’ the minute it was presented last month.

Hi, do you have a facebook fan page for your blog?`”::`

I saw this really good post today.

Thank you for your thoughtful post!

This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic.You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want…HaHa).You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years.Great stuff, just great!

I simply wished to say thanks all over again. I do not know the things that I would've handled in the absence of those creative concepts discussed by you concerning this field. It was a intimidating circumstance for me, but encountering a specialized tactic you solved the issue forced me to jump for gladness. I am just happier for your work and even have high hopes you realize what a powerful job you were accomplishing training the rest thru your blog post. I am sure you've never met any of us.

Zune and iPod: Most people compare the Zune to the Touch, but after seeing how slim and surprisingly small and light it is, I consider it to be a rather unique hybrid that combines qualities of both the Touch and the Nano. It's very colorful and lovely OLED screen is slightly smaller than the touch screen, but the player itself feels quite a bit smaller and lighter. It weighs about 2/3 as much, and is noticeably smaller in width and height, while being just a hair thicker.

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

Good article and right to the point. I am not sure if this is really the best place to ask but do you people have any thoughts on where to hire some professional writers? Thanks :)

В сегодняшнее момент отдых его не грех не тказывать себе только с путанами Киева разного цвета кожи.

Good post. I learn one thing tougher on totally different blogs everyday. It is going to always be stimulating to learn content material from other writers and observe just a little something from their store. I’d want to use some with the content material on my weblog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll provide you with a link in your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on August 4, 2008 7:21 PM.

Back and Ready to Blog was the previous entry in this blog.

Blogs on Songs is the next entry in this blog.