Favorite Coen Brothers Film

joelandethan6.jpg

Since the Coen Brothers have come out with a new movie and are currently filming their next movie in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, I thought it was a good time to discuss your favorite Coen Brother’s film. Below is my list ranked from favorite to least favorite. I’ll discuss below.

1. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
2. Fargo
3. Raising Arizona
4. Blood Simple
5. The Hudsucker Proxy
6. The Big Lebowski
7. Burn After Reading
8. No Country for Old Men
9. Miller's Crossing
10. Barton Fink
11. The Man Who Wasn't There
12. Intolerable Cruelty
13. The Ladykillers

From the bottom, forget about 11-13. None of them are that good and if I could rank 25 Coen Brothers films, Ladykillers would come in at number 25th. I never thought Barton Fink was that great but I had friends who loved it. I saw Miller’s Crossing so long ago it might rank it higher if I saw it again. No Country for Old Men’s ending really dropped this film down. I thought it was over rated. Burn After Reading may go up in time.

Big surprise for Big Lebowski at number 6. While I can appreciate it, it’s randomness left me a little off, some great scenes and characters but over all not as good as the top 5. Also a big surprise for Hudsucker Proxy but I loved that movie, acknowledging that many didn’t. Blood Simple was a great little thriller, that bathroom scene is just awful (in a good way). Raising Arizona is hilarious and of course Fargo is a cultural touchstone in these parts.

That means O’ Brother is my favorite. First the music is great but I just loved how they intertwined some real life happenings such as Governor Pappy and Robert Johnson into the film. Throw in an homage to the Wizard of Oz, and a great payoff when the Soggy Mountain Boys are finally discovered and you have a great, fun film.

What’s your favorite Coen Brothers film(s)?

I've only actually seen Fargo, Hudsucker and Lebowski.

I would probably put Hudsucker first just because Tim Robbins was that damn good.

Definitely "O Brother, Where Art Thou." That is an excellent movie.

Good choice.

Guess I will have to see "O Brother" then...

I absolutely love all of the main characters in The Big Lebowski. The Dude, John Goodman's "Nam" character, Jesus, Donnie...

I agree with you, Free, that there are parts of the movie that really wander, but I think the characters and the memorable lines make it #1 for me.

Check out this "Big Lebowski Random Quote Generator:"

http://thugbot.net/features/lebowski/

I really did love "O Brother" too, but my fav was definitely Raising Arizona. Best performance by Nic Cage and Holly Hunter... ever.

No Country should be ranked higher as the whole theme of the movie was that life doesn't always have a clean, happy ending. I thought it was a solid ending to a great movie.

I will agree that LadyKillers is absolutely horrible.

Wow this is a great tip! Thanks.

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on September 17, 2008 2:33 PM.

Thoughts from the Weekend was the previous entry in this blog.

Friday Random Top 10 is the next entry in this blog.