Kings of Leon -- Only by the Night

KOL.jpg

A little over a week ago I described the fact that I hadn’t listened to a lot of new music lately and decided to do something about it by purchasing four recent releases by newer bands and give them multiple listens and then review them here on this blog. Besides exposing myself to newer music, the hope was to find a new favorite band -- or at least a band to get excited about. My first review was of The Walkmen's You & Me which I found lacking to say the least. Second up was We Started Nothing by the Ting Tings, which was better than the Walkmen, had a couple of great songs, but in the end it was clear that the Ting Tings were not going to my next favorite band.

Next up is Kings of Leon and their new album Only by the Night. When their new album came out this fall there was a lot of indie chatter about this band. Their previous albums were definitely in the buzz bin and great things were expected. The single Sex on Fire was burning up the “alternative? and “college radio? charts and in heavy rotation on some stations. However, doing some research on the album, I found that the album has been a big disappointment to old fans. A reaction I both understand and think is a little too critical.

First, this album is good but it isn’t great. KOL has spent that last year in bigger arenas (sometimes supporting U2) and it shows. This album has that “big? sound that could easily fit a 18,000 seat arena and the second song, Crawl, sounds like it could be an outtake from Actung Baby. Caleb Followill’s voice is a kind of craggy moan that could easily be classified as Eddie Veddar-esque. With Only by the Night KOL has honed it’s rock bona-fides.

Read the reviews (like here and here), and the reaction is that Only by the Night isn’t as good as previous efforts and that it loses a lot of steam over the last half of the album. I for one didn’t think the album generated a lot of steam for it to lose and actually liked the last few songs better than beginning. Be Somebody and Cold Desert are actually catchy tunes and I found myself humming the refrains after listening to the album. Neither are huge rockers and maybe not classic outro songs, but decent nonetheless.

In the end Only by the Night is a bit of a let down. It’s decent but I found myself wanting to rock out more than it allowed. There’s some cool ideas musically going on however, and I may want to check out some of their earlier albums to see what all the fuss was about. I may come back to the album from time to time but it probably won’t be on heavy rotation. As I said above a good but not great album. What do you think of Kings of Leon? Is Only by the Night a good album or a disappointment?

Wow! Kings of Leon Rock! They're great to listen to. They deserve the attention they're now receiving. The new album might be number 1.

My hope is that some members of our community will be interested in submitting their scholarly work for possible presentation at the conference. I'm serving as co-ch air of the conference's Marketing Education track, one of more than 15 tracks that comprise the conference program.

I like this post, liked this one appreciate it for putting up.

cool i love those, good work! cool amazing i love those, great job!

never seen a website like this, really impressive. compared to other websites with this article this was definatly the best website. will save.

I've been absent for a while, but now I remember why I used to love this site. Thank you, Iˇ¦ll try and check back more often. How frequently you update your site?

Lady Gaga talked in front of lots of people at EuroPride 2011, advocating for gay rights in addition to equality.

With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement? My site has a lot of unique content I've either written myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any ways to help reduce content from being stolen? I'd really appreciate it.

Hands down, Apple's app store wins by a mile. It's a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I'm not sure I'd want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

I want to thanks for the efforts you have put in composing this blog post. I am hoping the same top-quality blog post from you in the upcoming as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own blog now. Truly the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a good example of it.

Thanks for providing such a great article, it was excellent and very informative. It’s my first time that I visit here. I found a lot of informative stuff in your article. Keep it up. Thank you.

May well I simply say what an ease to find a person who actually knows about the things theyre speaking of on the internet. You surely know the correct way to bring issues to illuminate plus makes it important. A lot more folks really need to start reading this as well as fully grasp this specific element of the situation. I cannot imagine you happen to be not a lot more popular since you most certainly have the talent.

Helpful info discussed I am really pleased to read this particular post..many thanks with regard to providing all of us nice information.Great walk-through. I truly appreciate this article.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on October 17, 2008 9:55 AM.

Friday Random Top 10 was the previous entry in this blog.

The Hill is the next entry in this blog.