Friday Random Top 10

I finally got the Replacements remasters of their first four albums with all the demos and unreleased material. Hopefully some sort of review next week but I am excited. Let's celebrate with a Friday Random Top 10:

1. Gun Shy -- Paul Westerberg
2. Unlovable -- The Smiths
3. Moral Kiosk -- R.E.M.
4. Delilah -- Tom Jones
5. Through These Eyes -- Social Distortion
6. This Time -- Gear Daddies
7. High Plains Drifter -- Beastie Boys
8. The Levee's Gonna Break -- Bob Dylan
9. Films -- Gary Numan
10. I Can See For Miles -- The Who

Nice list. Not a bad song in the bunch. Very manly list too. What's your top 10?

Giant Sand "Increment of Love" proVISIONS
Space Negros "Sweep" Dig Archaeology
Beck "Motorcade" The Information
Calexico "Woven Birds" Feast of Wire
Youssou N'Dour "Hey You" Set
Pine Top Smith "Pine Top's Boogie Woogie" Martin Scorsese Presents: The Blues
Maximo Park "Books from Boxes" Our Earthly Pleasures
Patsy Cline "A Stranger in My Arms" Golden Hits Collection
Wilco "Box Full of Letters" A.M.
Liz Phair "Bionic Eyes" Liz Phair

bonus
Smokey Robinson & the Miracles "Tears of a Clown" An Introduction to the Motown Elite 9000 Series

Worse things to end on a classic after a decidedly non-classic list, even in a semipopular way. Still, both Giant Sand and Calexico, a favorite early Wilco, a Maximo Park I want to think is informed by Walter Benjamin, and if it is in my ears, that's enough.

And I'm not sure what gender this list is, either.

Can a list with Morrisey and Gary Numan really be called "manly"? :-)

"Son" The National
"Sensitivity" Jeffrey Lee Pierce
"She's On It" Beastie Boys
"Winterlong" Neil Young
"Little Johnny Jewel" Television
"Beat on the Brat" The Ramones
"Country Feedback" R.E.M.
"Thank You" Led Zeppelin
"O Lord, Search My Heart" Reverend Gary Davis
"He Stopped Loving Her Today" George Jones

bonus cut--"Your Lips Are Red" St. Vincent

You've got Tucson pretty well covered with Howe Gelb and the Calexico gang, George. Both are stellar outfits.

I gotta say that the unreleased material on Tim is my favorite. Of course, Tim was my favorite Replacements album, so that makes sense. I also love "You're Getting Married" off of the Stink re-release.

E-6, funny I put this blog through that sex-determinant blog analyzer that everyone was doing on Friday and it came up 80 percent written by a man. Now you are questioning 20 percent of my manly random ipod list? I see a pattern.

Hey Jeff, remember back when I stated you posted the 500th comment to LFAD? Your last comment was #998.

Just messin' with you, free.

Look forward to your thoughts on the 'Mats extras. I'm old enough to own the band's catalog on vinyl, cassette, and CD. I have a cassette bootleg with a bunch of those studio songs, but the tape-warble is very pronounced.

Does that mean that E-6's last comment was #1000?

Jeff, I've smashed way past the 1000 comment barrier.

E-6, look for a review tomorrow. Also you were right, Bizarro is one mighty fine album.

I've been looking at your entries throughout my early morning break, and I'll need to acknowledge your entire guide may be really enlightening and really nicely composed. I assumed I'd indicate you could recognise that for some explanation why this blogging site does now not watch properly in Net Explorer eight. I would like Microsoft could forestall shifting their application. I've a question in your case. May possibly you brain exchanging weblog roll back links? That may be in position of truth neat!

Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your website is so cool. I'm impressed by the details that you have on this website. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the information I already searched everywhere and just couldn't come across. What a great site.

Hello! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came to look it over. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Fantastic blog and outstanding design.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on November 21, 2008 8:28 AM.

The Gophers Don't Suck was the previous entry in this blog.

Maybe I spoke too soon is the next entry in this blog.