Movies in Review 2008

wire.jpg

Here is my 2007 Review
Here is my 2006 Review

Another so-so year for movies in my humble opinion. Here were some of my faves:

Cloverfield. Classic monster movie with the monster representing fear of terrorism. Interesting concept filming from the perspective of those on the street. If you want to read a 10 page treatise I wrote on Cloverfield and terrorism, click here:Download file.

Mongol. Stunning movie about the childhood and rise of Genghis Khan. Filmed on location in the Mongolian Steppes where Khan ruled, this bloody gloriously shot movie is the first of a promised trilogy of the story of Genghis Khan. I can’t wait for the next two.

Tropic Thunder. Funniest movie I saw this year. Great send-up of action flicks. Now you can actually buy Booty Sweat at gift/gag stores.

Batman the Dark Knight. Very dark disturbing film. This isn’t Batman with prosthetic nipples and Schwarzenegger goofing on stupid one-liners. Of course Heath Ledger’s performance was amazing.

U2-3D. Saw this at the I-max and had to see it twice. Great concert show with the 3-D bringing Bono right into your lap.

Butterfly and the Diving Bell. Wow what a film. True story of a man who could only communicate by blinking his one good eye. Filmed beautifully.

Man on Wire. Documentary about the guy who strung a wire between the Twin Towers and walked back and forth for over 45 minutes. Very interesting and you come away with the sense that this guy was both crazy, egotistic, and extremely brave.

Biggest Disappointments: No Country for Old Men was vastly overrated with an ending that was just stupid. Indiana Jones wasn’t a surprise that it wasn’t that great, but aliens? C'mon Spielberg! The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons tried to be great but came up short, thus revealing all of its warts and flaws.

What movies did you like this year?

Agreed on Tropic Thunder and Dark Knight.

I would say Iron Man was another favorite for me, and of course, Wall-E. :-)

There is visibly a bundle to know about this. I assume you made some nice points in features also.

Good day! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website? I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've had problems with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

Hi! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of hard work due to no data backup. Do you have any methods to prevent hackers?

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on December 29, 2008 9:53 AM.

2008 -- Year in Music was the previous entry in this blog.

Goodbye 2008! is the next entry in this blog.