Random Thoughts

No Acorns. David Brauer over at Minnpost has a little story about the fact that for some reason a lot of Oak trees produced no acorns this summer. Now the squirrels are going nuts (sorry) due to lack of food. I also noticed that our neighbor’s Black Walnut tree produced no walnuts this fall. That’s the first time no walnuts in the 13 summers we’ve lived here. Is this cyclical? A scary environmental bellwether? Is it an arboreal Children of Men scenario? Let me know if you have any theories.

Conservative Blogs. During the election I liked to check out a couple of conservative blogs to see what they’re saying. It’s pretty amazing in that there seems to be some centralized daily distribution of Republican talking points that all conservatives reference as most of the conservative posts are quite similar to one another and similar to what the conservative talking heads are spouting on TV. One particular blog, Let Freedom Ring, I would actually engage in the comments section, pointing out the inconsistencies and ridiculousness of their arguments. I did this respectfully. Unfortunately I guess I hit a little close to the bone in my comments as suddenly my comments were being deleted. In the classic words of Jack Nicholson, hey Let Freedom Ring Blog: you can’t handle the truth!

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Finally saw this amazing movie. Fantastic true story about a French fashion magazine editor who has a massive stroke and can only communicate by blinking his one good eye. He actually is able to “write? a book in this fashion. Well directed, awesome cinematography, well recommended.

Jenny Lewis – Acid Tongue. The song Carpetbagger, with Elvis Costello is awesome. The rest of the album is pretty boring. Download the song, ignore the album.

Bitter Harvest. Based on a recommendation by SBG, I am reading Bitter Harvest which is the story of Gordon Kahl and the Posse Comitatus movement of the early 1980’s. My question is what happened to the movement? Farm families are hurting just as much now as they were in the 1980s. Is the movement underground, non-existent, or do we just don’t hear about it anymore? Obviously some ugliness occurred at Palin rallies this Fall but nothing like the violence of the late 1970s and 80s.

I'll second the recommendation for The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Great film. Wonderful book. Director Julian Schnabel was a pompous, vastly overrated painter in the 80's and 90's. Despite that, his film work has been stellar. His first two, Basquiat and Before Night Falls, are both very good, as well.

I'm not sure what happened to the Posse Comitatus movement. I'm sure that there are still some radical groups out there (remember Waco?), but I haven't heard much about them. And frankly, other than the Kahl story, I wasn't aware of any of that kind of stuff happening up in ND, although I have been told that those types are out there.

I'll gear this review to 2 types of people: current Zune owners who are considering an upgrade, and people trying to decide between a Zune and an iPod. (There are other players worth considering out there, like the Sony Walkman X, but I hope this gives you enough info to make an informed decision of the Zune vs players other than the iPod line as well.)

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on December 2, 2008 9:42 AM.

More New Music was the previous entry in this blog.

Elvis Comeback Special is the next entry in this blog.