Free Download: Replacements and Meat Puppets Live shows

20071128_replace6_2.jpg

Welcome Braublog readers! Replacements Download below. While you're here check out Lost Forest After Dark. Leave a comment or two, bookmark the site and come back if you like what you see.

Some people know that I have on cassette a live taping of a Replacements concert from October 1985 and a Meat Puppets concert that I think is either from 1987 or 1988. I’ve been talking for years that I was going to get them digitized. Well I finally got it done and am willing to share them with the faithful (and not so faithful) readers of Lost Forest After Dark.

The Replacements show is a classic. It’s from October 18, 1985 and I think it was the first show (UPDATE: it was the Friday night show, #4) of a 5 night stand at the 7th Street Entry in support of their first album on a Major Label – Tim. If you never saw the Replacements in concert, this show is a must. It has it all: the classics, goofy covers and mayhem. Don’t worry, it doesn’t disintegrate into a drunken mess, it is top notch from beginning to end. To download or stream, click here.

The Meat Puppets show is from around 1987 or 1988 (Maybe 1989 but I don’t think so) and was recorded at First Avenue. Again a classic. There is a part of the show near the end where it is virtually a face-ripping guitar jam session. Also the coolest cover of The Everly Bros All I Want to do is Dream that I have ever heard can be found in this recording. To download or stream, click here.

Neither of these shows were taped from the board so sonic quality isn’t the greatest, but it is pretty good. There’s a little bit of audience talking but nothing that deters from the shows.

Also, for those who haven’t checked it out, here is a 1984 Urban Guerrillas concert from 1st Avenue as well.

So check out the stream or download, let me know what you think. Also if you have trouble with the download, let me know so that I can try to fix. But most of all enjoy the music!!

Thanks for the live material. I'm listening to The Replacements now. Two things come to mind:

1) It reminds me of the second time I saw them at First Avenue (7/1/85), when between each and every song members of the crowd would shout out for their favorite song to be played. I hated that, but it appears to have been a normal occurrence.

2) There are times during this show that it feels as though the guys come close to completely losing it. Sometimes it feels like the songs are going to fall apart, but they keep it together. You can really hear it while they play 'Little Mascara'. The song keeps speeding and slowing down.

That's so Replacements.

You can read my thoughts of that show at http://dimland.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html

Thanks for the link Jim and nice review. It was pretty common that people would yell out songs through out their shows. That's my friends (mostly Pete) yelling out White and Lazy

Also for those who listen and are a little confused by the end... For some reason at the end of Replacement shows people would throw money, mostly change, up on stage. It was a mocking gesture: you guys are so bad you need the extra coin.

At the end of this show, you can hear money hitting the stage and Paul saying it's going to take more than a dollar for them to continue. Paul then says the greatest concert good bye ever: "What's this shit... we don't need it, we're made of the shit! Keep your money, fuck you goodnight!"

Very cool Free. I am always looking for some more live Replacements tunes! It really bothers me that I only saw them after Bob left the band.

Very cool. I got the Meat Puppets concert. I'll probably have to wait until tomorrow to listen, but I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks free, for putting these out there!

I used to have about a half a dozen cassette boots of the boys--7th St Entry 1982, Uptown 1983, infamous drunken NYC "showcase" 1984, Uptown 1985, First Ave Mainroom 1986, Madison 1987. I honestly don't know if I have them anymore.

From about 1981 to 1986, the Mats were my favorite thing. Saw them over seventy times--the first 30 or so, for little or no cover--places like Duffy's, Goofy's Upper Deck, the Uptown, the Cabooze. While I eventually moved on and don't really listen to them anymore, they'll always have a special spot in my rock and roll heart.

JettT, the Bob Stinson years were their Heyday.

Hey E-6, we were probably at a lot of the same shows! I particularly remember a fun show at Goofy's Upper Deck probably Summer of '83. Tommy took his mic stand and threw it over my head at the end.

Also nice use of two Mats song names.

Big Mak, I am interested in hearing what you think of the Meat Puppets show.

Yep, I was at that one. A chick got hit in the head by Tommy's javelin toss and was bleeding. As we were higher than kites, we fled the scene.

As I recall, Loud Fast Rules opened. Might have been the last time I saw Pirner play trumpet.

Man, the Meat Puppets just don't stop do they?

I didn't recognize all the songs, but the ones I did know ("Climbing" and "Split Myself in Two" for example) are played double time. It's just a ton of frenetic energy. They rip from one song into the other. I only got to listen to about two thirds of the concert, but I was nearly worn out by that point. I can't imagine how awesome it would have been to actually be there as they tore the stage up.

Thanks again for sharing this, that concert kicks some serious ass. After a first listen, I'm a huge fan.

Hey Big Mak, the last third is when it gets crazy! It wasn't this show but I went to a Meat Puppets show in I think 1989 that also was just a balls-to-the-walls guitar jam fest including a version of Zep's Rock and Roll that would have made Jimmy Page envious.

Linked up over at MNPunk.com

What you’re saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I also love the images you put in here. They fit so well with what you’re trying to say. I’m sure you’ll reach so many people with what you’ve got to say.

I think other web-site proprietors should take this site as an model, very clean and magnificent user friendly style and design, let alone the content. You're an expert in this topic!

Nice blog, thanks for sharing :)

After study a few of the blog posts on your blog now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my site as well and let me know what you think.

Hey what theme is this site?I really love this site design.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on March 10, 2009 9:07 AM.

Favorite Things -- Watchmen was the previous entry in this blog.

Friday Random Top 10 is the next entry in this blog.