Obama and the Birthers

birth close-up.jpg

In the last few weeks, The Birthers, those folks who don't think Obama was born in the United States and thus ineligible to be President, have gotten their views in the traditional media like CNN and MSNBC. Even though the State of Hawaii has asserted that there is a valid birth certificate and the local newspaper had a birth announcement back in 1960, (see above) for some reason The Birthers are not convinced.

Let's get something straight. The only reason this is an issue is because we have a black president. The people pushing this "story" can't abide the fact that the President of the United States is a black man. Now of course they know they can't say that out loud in polite company so they glom on to wild conspiracies. It is similar to issues last year during the campaign when people insisted, in the face of evidence to the contrary, that Obama was Muslim. It's a way to point out that Obama is different, that he's not like us and worthy to govern without having to say the "I don't want a black person as president."

Unfortunately for the Republicans, the base of their support has dwindled down to the cranks, crazy, and racists. Their supporters actually believe this stuff. So even though most elected Republicans know the Birther issues are completely unfounded, they can't come out and say that or they will piss off half their supporters. So Republicans are caught between a rock and a hard place. They either look crazy to most of the electorate for not repudiating this easily debunked claim or they tell a large percentage of their hardcore supporters that they are crazy. The irony is delicious and a lot of fun to watch. Couldn't happen to a better bunch of guys.

Agreed. He's president. We need to support him. That's the bottom line for me.

Very well said. Now they are in the same boat regarding health care. The latest I heard on NPR is that there's a vicious rumor that the health care bill provides for euthanasia and assisted sucide. So entertaining to see them try and tightrope that one. They're damned if they do; damned if they don't. Either way i am LMAO! What a bunch of tools.

free loved this one. can u do something on the health care debate. these nut jobs disrupting the town hall discussions need to be outed. probably the same basis of this post. get the racists fired up. the death panel crap is outrageous. would one of the media outlets please just point out the end of life planning discussions are a smart cost savings. we been there, done that. making a gut wrenching emotional decision about implanting a feeding tube for a family member who has no chance of recovering from a major stroke(s) is incredibly difficult. it is nothing that families should have to deal with if they know what their family members desire.

I just got back from the Big Island and can't wait to go again next year. But this time I think I'll avoid the poor sections of Hawaii.

I am pretty sure that Hilldog brought up Obama's birthplace in the primary. Hilldog is a Democrat. I guess you also forgot about Biden explaining that Obama was a good opponent because he was a good looking articulate black man.

I do remember such republican racsts like McCain telling people that he didn't side with any of the racist remarks from Hillary's camp in the primary.

But if you want to look for truth in racism, look to the civil war... Democrats left the Union, Republican president frees slaves, democrat kills republican.

Republicans introduce civil rights bills for 100 years, democrats vote it down.. some democrats like Al Gore Sr. say that integration is too dangerous and votes against desegregation.

learn what a racist is...

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on July 28, 2009 9:54 AM.

You Were There was the previous entry in this blog.

Vacation Time is the next entry in this blog.