Here Comes the Grass

static_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fblog%2Elib%2Eumn%2Eedu%2Fmt%2Dstatic%2F&data=%2Fblogshow%2Fcarls0644a96a3b5689fa%2Fimage%2Etable%2Edat&slideshow=1&ssr=1&autofit=0&show_width=400&show_height=300&background_color=%23FFFFFF&thumbnail_border_thickness=5&thumbnail_border_color=%23FFFFFF&thumbnail_highlight_color=%23993300&thumbnail_alignment=bottom&thumbnail_width=100&thumbnail_height=100

The big news this week at Target Field has been the grass. Every night since Monday, semi trucks of sod has been delivered to Target Field and installed over night. It's been 27 years since professional baseball has been played on grass in Minnesota so this is a big deal.

As of this morning, the outfield has been completely sodded and tonight the infield will go in. It's starting to looking like a real ballpark out there. Want to watch the progress, be sure to check out this webcam. Also take a close look at that last picture, it was taken from a spot pretty close to where our seats are located.

It's depressing to think I was 18 years old when the locals last played on grass.

Brings to mind a favorite baseball quote from the late Tug McGraw:

When asked what he preferred to play on--"Grass, or Astroturf?"--ol' Tug said, "I don't know. I've never smoked Astroturf."

Free - that is going to be a fantastic view from our seats! I'm sure that we'll be a few sections down towards left, but that last photo is very close.

By the way, are you going to the final game at the Dome?

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on August 27, 2009 10:17 AM.

Edward (Ted) Kennedy 1932-2009 was the previous entry in this blog.

Friday Random Top 10 is the next entry in this blog.