Timberwolves Hire Kurt Rambis

rambis.png

Admittedly I wasn't very happy when David Kahn was named GM of the Timberwolves. He was out of the game for a while, had experience at the business side -- not the player evaluation side, and seemed like a reclamation project. So far I think I was wrong in the assessment.

Kahn has understood that he had to blow up the Timberwolves and basically start over. So goodbye Kevin McHale. Goodbye Randy Foye, Bassy, and Mike Miller. Hello banking draft picks, younger guys, and expiring contracts. The Ricky Rubio gambit may not work but I think Rubio wants to play in the NBA and even though there will be a lot of machinations, we will see the Spanish teen in a Wolves jersey this coming October.

Finally hello Kurt Rambis as coach. Rambis is definitely one of those rising assistants. He's coached alongside two masters: Riley and Jackson and was credited with improving the Lakers' defense this past season. He's been a winner at every level of basketball whether a player or a coach, even if it was a supporting role. Also he's a name that casual fans know and can get excited about.

Don't overlook that last point. Due to soul-draining suckiness, the Timberwolves have virtually no buzz right now in Minnesota. It's really too bad as this could be a rabid basketball market. High School basketball has never been played at a higher level and more kids are going on to D-I basketball than ever before. Gopher hoops and Tubby are always a tough ticket. Rambis, Rubio, Big Al Jefferson, Kevin Love won't win a lot of games this year but could create some excitement, some hope for the future. The fact that Kahn has put these first pieces into place has demonstrated that maybe he was a good hire. He has a plan, will it work out? Time will tell (See Minnesota Wild 2005-2009) but it at least it will be interesting to find out if it will.

Rambis is definitely one of those rising assistants.

whoah this blog is wonderful i love reading your articles. Keep up the great work! You know, lots of people are searching around for this info, you can help them greatly.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on August 11, 2009 10:59 AM.

Ballpark Twins Sign was the previous entry in this blog.

Friday Random Top 10 is the next entry in this blog.