Ricky Rubio

ricky rubio.jpg

The latest word out of Spain, (and who knows it might be old by the time this posts) is that Ricky Rubio, the basketball boy wonder, is signing with Barcelona and won't be available to the Timberwolves for 2 years.

For the national media, which doesn't necessarily have the T-wolves interests at heart, this is a disaster for the Timberwolves. Trades with the Knicks are being proffered that would include David Lee and draft choices. Such a trade (Lee is another Forward who is too similar to BAJ and KLove) would be the disaster facing the Wolves, not missing Rubio for 2 years.

Ricky Rubio is 18 years old and really no one really knows if he is ready for the NBA. Doesn't it make sense for him to play in Barcelona, get bigger and stronger, and let the Wolves develop their team? The Wolves will still retain his rights. If Rubio is a bust against better competition, we will learn that without having to pay him. If he is the second coming of Pete Maravich, we'll learn that too and Rubio could be the final piece that the Wolves will need when they start to compete in 2 years. It's almost as though the Wolves have drafted a young phenom and then put him in the minors for seasoning. Did anyone complain when the Twins drafted the 18 year old Joe Mauer and then sent him to Fort Myers to play single A ball?

From his public statements, David Kahn seems to realize this, but I am guessing the pressure is strong to deal Rubio to a team like the Knicks. Let's hope that Kahn keeps the Wolves long term interests at heart, is able to stave off the criticism that will come his way if Rubio does sign with Barcelona and builds a team that is able to plug in Ricky Rubio in 2 years and actually compete with the elite teams of the NBA.

I like your analogy of Barcelona being Fort Myers. I will admit I've not followed the Rubio news with any great interest, but that seems to be the most sensible thing I've heard so far.

If I had a choice, I'd rather be in Barcelona.

But then again, I don't play baseball or basketball very well. And I get to live in SB. So I'll just shut up now.

Aw, that's just cold, George.

Do you get the feeling that Rubio will never wear a Wolves uniform? I see him with the Knicks.

Actually Jeff I don't see Rubio as a Knick because they have nothing to give us. The national media may want Rubio in NYC but that's not going to make it happen. If Rubio wants to play in the NBA, and all indications are thay he does, the Wolves hold a strong hand in eventually getting him here.

Actually Jeff I don't see Rubio as a Knick because they have nothing to give us. The national media may want Rubio in NYC but that's not going to make it happen. If Rubio wants to play in the NBA,

Anoche hicimos un partidazo!! Pudimos hacer el primer gol muy rápido y eso nos ayudó mucho.

Admin has been working beautifully.

Admin has been working. :) thank you

Then we'd be perfect for each other.

It goes off like a gun, brighter than the sun
brighter than the sun.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on September 1, 2009 8:49 AM.

Avatar and the Fanboys was the previous entry in this blog.

The Raft is the next entry in this blog.