Big G Reduces Cereal Sugar

choc.jpg

General Mills announced yesterday that it was reducing the amount of sugar in its most popular cereals that are marketed to kids under 12 years old. Once implemented, these cereals will have less than 10 grams of sugar per serving. As my kid eats Cinnamon Toast Crunch by the bucket, I am very happy with this decision and think this is another sign that consumers are taking a closer look at what they are eating and putting into their bodies.

However I was amused by information from the story:

Boo Berry or Franken Berry, which have 12 grams of sugar per serving, aren't included because they aren't advertised on TV shows marketed to those under 12. Nor does the reduction cover Chocolate Lucky Charms, which is 43 percent sugar by weight, down from 50 percent two years ago.

First if Boo Berry and Franken Berry aren't marketed to those under 12, who's buying the stuff? Are there hipster-like 20-somethings who eat Boo Berry to be ironic? Do goth chicks eat Frankenberry as part of their lifestyle? Also Chocolate Lucky Charms? I didn't know it existed but it sounds disgusting. But 43 percent of its weight is sugar? And that is down by 14 percent from 2 years ago? Wholly crap I wonder if you get a free insulin shot with every box of Chocolate Lucky Charms. Some pharma company should look into the cross marketing possibilities - they could lock up the pre-diabetes segment of the population at an early age of their soon to be shortened life.

I thought 20-something hipsters were the only people that bought Boo Berry and Frankenberry.

I, on the other hand, eat Count Chocula because I figured I'm allowed one box of delicious chocolate cereal a year.

What else would a dude wanna snarf on whilst partaking in an HR Pufnstuf marathon?

I had a really bad experience with Boo Berry as a kid so I am happy to say that I have been off of that cereal for years.

Really bad.

I'm pretty sure that everyone has a "really bad experience" with at least one cereal.

Mine was 'Kaboom'. I still can't watch the part early on in Kill Bill without thinking of it.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on December 10, 2009 9:57 AM.

It' Coming!!!! was the previous entry in this blog.

Friday Random Top 10 is the next entry in this blog.