The Vikings and Neil Young

lose.png

Lover,

there will be another one
Who'll hover
over you beneath the sun
Tomorrow
see the things
that never come
Today

When you see me
Fly away without you
Shadow on the things you know
Feathers fall around you
And show you the way to go
It's over, it's over.

Nestled
in your wings my little one
This special
morning brings another sun
Tomorrow
see the things
that never come
Today

When you see me
Fly away without you
Shadow on the things you know
Feathers fall around you
And show you the way to go
It's over, it's over.

This past week I picked up two excellent Neil Young releases: Live at Massey Hall, 1971 and Sugar Mountain: Live At Canterbury Hall, 1968. Both are acoustic shows with Neil Young early in his career. They are melancholy and utterly compelling as Young, especially in the Canterbury release, completely overwhelmed me with their emotional impact. I listened to both releases all weekend and they kept my nerves calm as the Viking game approached Sunday evening.

Unfortunately the Vikings game was perfectly predictable. They were the better team on the field last night but the Vikings are fated to lose tragically in the playoffs. Now we have AP's fumbles, Favre's interception, bad calls by the ref, and a 12th man in the huddle to add to the canon of The Pushoff, 41-doughnut, Darrin Nelson's dropped pass, and Gary Anderson's missed field goal. I truly believe that the 12 man in the huddle was the ghost of Vikings playoff futility past.

I've been predicting something like this all season and realize that it's the fate of the Vikings to lose in such a manner. Unfortunately for many teenagers and pre-teenagers, this was their first experience of being let down by the Vikings. Congratulations. It's a rite of passage. You have taken another step on your journey of being considered a "real" Minnesotan.

Which brings me back to Neil Young. Right after the game I went upstairs and was cleaning the kitchen. I turned on the I-Pod and Neil Young's Birds came on immediately. What an appropriate song as it is a message (lyrics above) from someone who has either died or left a loved one. It is very sad and quite appropriate. If I had the time and ability, I'd put together highlights of last night's game and this song. Listening to it made me smile. Neil knows and so do I: It is the Vikings fate, embrace it, accept it.

Oh and don't fret, Joe Mauer will be signed this week.

Earlier this morning I put this comment on my FaceBook page...

"Too many men in the huddle." The title to the latest chapter of the book 'How The Vikings Consistently Disappoint Their Fans'. Other chapters include "41-0" and "Take A Knee."

The only bright side of the loss was the dollar bet I had with my wife. She bet they'd win. I got the dollar.

I'll say what I say each time they've disappointed us since 1977 (their last Super Bowl appearance), "Oh well, at least they won't lose the Super Bowl."

That had to be gut-wrenching to the Viking faithful. You have my sympathy. This probably doesn’t provide much comfort but I’ll say it anyway: to a Seahawks fan, losing the Conference championship in OT would be such a dramatic swing in the right direction that it’s seems beyond reasonable comprehension.

You’ve probably already heard it but Neil Young & Crazy Horse Live at the Fillmore East is also really good. Just what the Dr. ordered if your sorrow transitions to anger.

Nice, though I might have gone with "Don't Let it Bring You Down."

Old man lying
by the side of the road
With the lorries rolling by,
Blue moon sinking
from the weight of the load
And the buildings scrape the sky,
Cold wind ripping
down the allay at dawn
And the morning paper flies,
Dead man lying
by the side of the road
With the daylight in his eyes.

Don't let it bring you down
It's only castles burning,
Find someone who's turning
And you will come around.

My 4th grader took this game especially hard. I looked over at him on the couch near the end of the game, and he had a tear in his eye and sheer terror on his face. The look said "I know what is going to happen."

Welcome to Minnesota Vikingdom, son!

Just think Jeff in 30 years your son will be telling his kid "You think this is bad, I remember when the Vikings lost a game because they had 12 men in the huddle!"

Good point, Free! I can only imagine what "other" ways the Vikings will find to lose big games between now and then.

Twelve men in a huddle. Dear God.......

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on January 25, 2010 10:17 AM.

Friday Random Top 10 was the previous entry in this blog.

Friday Random Top 10 is the next entry in this blog.