Opening day at Target Field

100_1391.jpg

When I first started this blog nearly 4 years ago, Target Field didn't exist (in name or physically). It was only a gleam in our eyes. Sure a ballpark bill had been passed but we didn't quite know what we were going to get, except that we would finally have baseball outside. My 3rd blog post was about the new Twins ballpark and that some people were still complaining about a roof.

100_1388.jpg
First Pitch At Target Field

As everyone well knows we now have our ballpark and everyone is in love with it. Even the folks who wanted a roof have either been converted or are keeping quiet until a crappy day ruins a game. Sixty-five degrees and party sunny opening days will do that. Don't worry, the haters will be back.

100_1384.jpg
Harmon Killebrew

I haven't done a lot of talking about the new ballpark lately and what it means because Rick over at Baseball Magic has done such a great job, with wonderful pictures, that anything I would write would be derivative of what he already produced.

100_1371.jpg
Is this Minneapolis or is this Wrigleyville?

Yesterday was in a nutshell why I was such a huge new outdoor, roofless ballpark rube. The atmosphere in and around the ballpark was electric, bars were full of people and sometimes it felt like downtown Minneapolis would challenge Wrigleyville for urban baseball atmosphere. The game was wonderful as I was sitting in shirtsleeves for most of the game and then put on a long sleeve shirt for the later innings. Sun dappled the field, and funky shadows danced across the outfield as the day went on. Oh and the Twins won.

100_1374.jpg
Homer Hankie Shirt

For too long we were embarrassed about out baseball stadium. It's Teflon roof, it's antiseptic, plastic atmosphere, its freaky bounces and speakers in play. The Twins deserved better, baseball deserved better, we deserved better. Finally, it is here and I couldn't be happier.

100_1393.jpg
Late Afternoon Shadows

Your so lucky to have gone to opening day. I have not been to a game at target field yet and really want to make the road trip to check it out. Glad you had a great time on opening day! I found Aaron's Baseball Blog http://aarongleeman.com/ under your links and really enjoy there post, thanks for this cool baseball site.

Great pics, I bet you had a great time at the game.

Your site is expressing more interest and commitment. Thanks a lot.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on April 12, 2010 9:22 PM.

Meat Puppets @ 400 Bar was the previous entry in this blog.

Friday Random Top 10 is the next entry in this blog.