Target Field's Unsung Hero

shane.jpg

Tomorrow will be the official opening of Target Field as the Twins play an exhibition game against Albert Pujols and the St. Louis Cardinals. I'll be there.

As is typical with any opening of a new ballpark there will be a pre-game ceremony honoring those responsible for making it all happen, including Twins officials and various elected officials. Some are very deserving such as Hennepin County Commissioner Mike Opat who came up with the financial strategy to pay for the ballpark and Representative Brad Finstad who, a lowly backbencher from the minority party, introduced the bill at the Legislature and saw that it got passed -- even though it wasn't always popular with other more senior legislators (and the Governor), or his constituents back home. Those two men richly deserve to be saluted.

However there is one person who won't be down on the field getting accolades but should be. That person is Shane from the web site Greet Machine. Many people don't realize how instrumental Greet Machine was in getting the ballpark bill passed. The most important thing he did was put together a legislative scorecard of who was supporting the ballpark and who wasn't. Through Shane's work it came to light that most legislators actually supported the ballpark legislation. He listed their names and where they had signaled their support.

Now you wouldn't think this is a big deal but it was huge, and something that lobbyists charge tens of thousands of dollars to produce. But here it was for free for anyone to see. And more importantly it was accurate. If I recall correctly not one legislature denied their place on the list either for the ballpark or against it. It is well documented that this scorecard was used in legislative meetings regarding the ballpark bill and all legislative leaders knew of it.

Not only did Shane develop the legislative scorecard, Greet Machine became THE place on-line to discuss the ins-and-outs of the ballpark legislation, who supported it, the politics, etc. It was a nice place for joe-citizen ballpark supporters to get together and discuss the various ballpark scenarios - this during a time when most of the media was focused on those loud and shrill voices opposed to a ballpark. But more importantly, it became such an important site to the ballpark approval process that elected officials, lawyers, and the landowners started privately feeding Shane information to put on his blog. Many people read Greet Machine during this period: from rubes like me, to politicians, city officials, print/TV journalists, and the surrounding land owners. I truly believe, and I am not alone, that without Greet Machine and Shane's efforts a new Twins ballpark would have never happened when it did.

So when you see the celebration of those responsible for Target Field, remember that one person is missing. Now I'm not surprised, I am sure these days public officials are too embarrassed to admit that a mere blogger played such a key role in getting a $500M ballpark approved -- no way could they acknowledge that now. And Shane is way too modest to demand such recognition or even ask for a t-shirt for his efforts. However to those us who watched the ballpark come together, we know. And I for one will be tipping my hat off to Shane tomorrow afternoon as I will have the distinct pleasure of sitting next to him as the first Twins home baseball game in over 28 years is played outdoors.

Thanks Shane!!

Other Accolades are coming in!

Here
Here
Here
Here

Thanks for organizing this, freealonzo. Love the stories so far. My post.

Well, I am properly blown away by this ...

Thanks Free. I am genuinely touched. We had some good times back in the day, didn't we?

Thanks for being there. One of the best things about all that work is all the new friends I have made. You are a good friend, Free. You really are.

Thank you, Shane!

Looking forward to sitting with you and Free tomorrow!

Rep. Finstad was in the majority party at the time. The DFL took the majority starting with the 2007 session.

Kevin -- Thanks, will fix.

If I still maintained my blog, I would be gushing with praise for Shane, too. Thanks for all your hard work, Shane, and for patiently answering any question I ever had about the various stadium efforts.

Shane is #1

Shane should get some kind of official recognition. Or season tickets :).

I would like to thnkx for the efforts you have put in writing this blog. I'm hoping the same high-grade site post from you in the upcoming as well. Actually your creative writing skills has inspired me to get my own site now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a good example of it.

We invite you to visit our website. We offer the best flat in Wroclaw.

Hey what theme is this site?I really like this site design.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on April 1, 2010 6:38 AM.

Confirmed! Matt's Has Best Jucy Lucy was the previous entry in this blog.

Friday Random Top 10 is the next entry in this blog.