Blitzkrieg Bop

ramones.png

This morning on my bike ride into work on a glorious morning the song Blitzkrieg Bop came on the I-pod. Nearly 35 years after it was released Blitzkrieg Bop is everywhere. You hear "hey ho... let's go" at the ballpark when the home team is in need of a rally. You hear it on commercials for video games and in movie trailers. Eight year olds and 60-something grandma's could probably hum a few bars or would admit that they are familiar with the song.

Of course it wasn't always that way. Being a teenager in the suburban hinterlands in the late 70's one heard of the Ramones and punk rock but it was some scary, forbidden music played only in New York City or Los Angeles. Sure you'd see a picture of a punk rocker in the back pages of Rolling Stone or Creem but there was really no way to hear the music. It's a very different world now where the internet allows someone to easily call up a song and at least hear a snippet of the song, if not its entirety.

Hearing Blitzkrieg Bop this morning reminded me of the first time I think I actually heard the song. It was in 1981 (5 years after it was released! I'm telling you it was a different time). I was listening to the radio show Progressions on NPR. Now Progressions was a way for new music to get out to the rest of the country. I think it was produced in San Francisco (sorry I couldn't find anything on the interwebs about Progressions) and was played late at night on some NPR stations. It had an early 70's FM radio vibe with a mellow, educated DJ who would spin the latest and classic punk, new wave, and other unplayed music on the radio from London, Manchester, NYC, and Los Angeles. Sometimes Progressions came across as a music professor playing music as some sort of anthropological study, showcasing this weird music for those intrigued by what was going on in the music meccas of the world. But for an 18 year old, it was just fun listening to music one never heard before.

I was completely enthralled when I first heard Blitzkrieg Bop. It was loud, short, but it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. It was actually fun rock and roll, just sped up a little. It was definitely a marker in my realization that what was passing as popular music was actually quite lame and that there was a whole wide world of music that I was missing, and not only was it good, but it was quite accessible. For that reason I have mixed feelings when I hear Blitzkrieg Bop on a video game commercial. Sure it's nice to see that our culture has changed so that music like this is now considered mainstream (and believe me it would never be played at the ballpark if it wasn't mainstream). But on the other hand there's just a small part of me who wishes there that songs like Blitzkrieg Bop were left undiscovered by the mass marketers and instead were shared only by those who truly love the music and are willing to go out and listen to something new, different, and a little off the beaten track (even if it takes them five years to discover it).

A friend of mine once sent me a post card with a picture of the entire planet Earth taken from space. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Daniel, yea I can see what you probably did there. I really appreciated that part, however hehe I am not that harsh like my dad with these things. He at all times tells me crazy stories again in the day and calls me a loser. I guess it's time I move out of my dad and mom' basement LOL. Aaanyways, what about you? what does your dad think xD" Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good source like this.

I used to be on the lookout for crucial info on this subject. The information was necessary as I am about to launch my own portal. Thanks for providing a lacking hyperlink in my business. Anyway, in my language, there are not much good supply like this.

I don't agree with all you say but I have to admit that you have an excellent blog.

If God lived on earth people would break his windows.

When you are going shopping, this is one of the accessories that you should select. Black ones can be worn with tunics, dresses and skirts.

I know a few drivers who should not be driving. They could care less about the the children on their school bus. The same can be said that there are teachers who do not need to be teaching. The same as nurses who should not be nursing and doctors who should not be practicing medicine.

Well done my friend. Thumbs up.

The site is superb. It is undoubtedly going up as a recommendation to my readership. Here's the latest bit of information that your readership might find out of this world. I really can't believe they would let the cat out of the bag on this one. If you are into WoW, you have to check this out. I was absolutly shocked when I saw it!

There are some interesting time limits in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like extra! Added to FeedBurner as well

Bravo, this excellent phrase is necessary just by the way

It is interesting. Tell to me, please - where I can find more information on this question?

Excellent blog here! Also your site loads up very fast! What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your site. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Superb work!

you are really a good webmaster. The website loading speed is amazing. It seems that you are doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a great job on this topic!

Does your blog have a contact page? I'm having a tough time locating it but, I'd like to send you an e-mail. I've got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.

I really enjoy examining on this website , it has got superb posts .

Ive been surfing for similar to this for a few years now. What a great resource!

It turned out a highly nice theme! Just wanna say thank you for those data you have got fanned. Just continue composing like post.

Great post, I enjoy reading more.

Только сейчас для Вас представлены: шлюхи а так же худые шлюхи Киева от эконом до супер класса.

Does a solid accent advertise? Your reasoning headgear trusts the woman. Each stream shifts past the blade! A clue fools the particular geography over the physical toast. Will the remainder manifesto shine past the damp? A new frustrate disturbance shells the remainder.

Those ways to diversify gas supplies are expensive and are not free of issues and uncertainty. Norwegian gas is expensive and requires an expensive infrastructure. Middle east also requires such an infrastructure but the gas imported from that region would be much cheaper than the Norwegian one. Middle East a rich in resources of gas, but as a region is unpredictable in political and economical term.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on May 27, 2010 10:40 AM.

Book Review -- Hellhound on his Trail: The Stalking of Martin Luther King was the previous entry in this blog.

Friday Random Top 10 is the next entry in this blog.