The Superior Hiking Trail

Thumbnail image for 100_1633.jpg

Wilderness can be appreciated only by contrast, and solitude understood only when we have been without it -- Sigurd F. Olson

Last week I took some time off and went by myself to Lake Superior's North Shore to do some hiking, camping, and kayaking. Due to a crazy family schedule we didn't do any vacation this year and I hardly had been out of the City. I've went on numerous bike rides but all with the Twin Cities area, I needed to get out.

Thumbnail image for 100_1634.jpg
The Highest Point in Minnesota

I just had a little pup tent, minimal supplies, and a reservation at a State Park. On the itinerary was the Superior Hiking Trail, Eagle Mountain (highest point in MN at a whopping 2,300 feet) and tooling around Lake Superior. I've been up and down the North Shore many times usually in State Parks so I was quite familiar with what I wanted to do and see.

Thumbnail image for 100_1639.jpg
The Lowest Point in Minnesota

My only hiccup was the fact that I packed a little too light - no sleeping bag -- and it got down to 45 degrees one night. I had two thin blankets in my car and wore all my clothes but it was a rough night.

Thumbnail image for 100_1643.jpg
Very Thankful for this Fire

Kayaking was also on the agenda however I had to make some plan modifications as the lake was too windy my first day up. Fortunately the next day was quite calm and I went on a nice sea kayak tour with 11 other people. One woman from California was with us and had never been to the North Shore and she was just overwhelmed. I think she was a little wacky too as she told me that she thought the area around Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet reminded her of San Francisco and that the U of MN campus reminded her of an Ivy League school - neither are quite accurate.

Thumbnail image for 100_1649.jpg
Lake Superior from a Kayak

The Superior Hiking Trail is gorgeous. Rough sometimes with lots of rocks and I think I would like to cover the whole trail from Duluth to Canada. Not all in one trip but over time, knocking off segments here and there. The Gitchi GummI bike trail is also under construction and one day a person will be able to ride their bike on paved trail from Duluth to Canada as well. Could be fun.

Thumbnail image for 100_1652.jpg
Cascade River

Good stuff Dean. I've always wanted to go up to the Superior Hiking Trail. Your pictures have convinced me that this will be the year!

Wonderful pics. It inspires me to get off my bum and do some hiking before the weather goes to pot.

Excellent post, free. Swell pix.

Thanks for kudos on pics. I have a bunch more (including the fallen arch at Tettegouche)and if I had any ambition, I would put them on flickr or something like that. But don't hold your breath.

I plan to go back in the winter and do some snow-shoeing along the North Shore too. I promise more pictures then.

I would recommend the israel national trail for a great hiking advanture. I did it with my friends in a few weeks and had an amazing time.
Little expensive and far but if you are looking to "get out of the box" thing to do, this is it.

Thanks for sharing your photos. The Superior Hiking Trail does look great and I will have to check it out when I visit the area.

Fun! I was in the Bay Area for Thanksgiving this year (a few photos on my blog). It's so pretty! I wish we'd had more time to spend in the city, but got stuck in horrific traffic on the Bay Bridge. Should have taken the BART instead. And no freakin earthquakes

Hi, i believe that i saw you visited my weblog so i came to “return the choose”.I'm trying to to find things to enhance my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your concepts!!

Your site is thousand times improved then my sms web log, which truly looks very bad and ugly.

It's the first time when i've seen your site. I can understand a lot of hard work has gone in to it. It's really good.

Thanks for providing such a great article, it was excellent and very informative. It’s my first time that I visit here. I found a lot of informative stuff in your article. Keep it up. Thank you.

I am glad to be a visitant of this everlasting blog! thankyou for this rare information!

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this increase.Hello, i think that i saw you visited my blog thus i came to "return the favor".I'm trying to find things to enhance my site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on August 30, 2010 8:24 PM.

Friday Random Top 10 was the previous entry in this blog.

Gopher Football Preview is the next entry in this blog.