Random Friday Fiction

Here's my latest narrative using the song titles from Friday's Random Top 10.

Everyone was pretty excited when they heard Bo was coming back to the ranch. But no one was as excited as I was. In his last letter from Appomattox, Bo wrote, The war's over and I'ma coming home. Girl, you'll be a woman soon and I can't wait to see you. Serious Bird Woman, the Pawnee cook Ma kept around the ranch, saw the look in my eyes as I read Bo's letter. Bo has no idea of Sue's length of love she said out loud to no one in particular. He doesn't know what he's gettin' in to does he? Sue here is a regular master of puppets and it looks like she is going to add another one to her collection. I whispered to myself, don't listen to that old Indian woman Bo, I love you so much it hurts. Nothing's going to keep us apart.

A few weeks later as Bo ambled down that old Spirit Road and came into view of the ranch, Pa shouted out "well if it aint the return of the grievous angel." Bo smiled and said good to see you too Hank. Now help me with my stuff. Bo looked gaunt and definitely lost that sparkle in his eye. Ma noticed too. Goodness Bo, you're a sight! Come in we'll get you a some food. Bird Woman, cook up that chicken we've been saving! Bo said, thanks but I gotta see Sue first. I came running out of the barn and he looked at me and said my Lord you're a sight for tired eyes. Just as gorgeous as Shakespeare's Sister. I ran into his arms and he whispered in my ear, I'm gonna make you mine."

For some reason Serious Bird Woman didn't take to Bo. She would give him side long stares that only I would notice and she kept muttering about visions of a blue green arrow. Bo was oblivious and was a huge help around the ranch. It was great to have another helper and Pa and Ma were grateful for his help. When that Pawnee woman left without a trace a couple of months later, right before it got cold, no one seemed to care. Even the sparkle returned to Bo's eyes. I thought it was because we were going to have a baby, but sometimes late at night, I would wonder...

Random Top Ten Fiction

I gotta know Gary, is this a relationship or are you in it just for the sex she snapped as she tugged her jeans up over her hips. Jesus I thought, ain't it just like a woman, always playing the relationship card right after an afternoon quicky. "Sure Jen, it's all about you, you're my star of Bethlehem, my guiding force." Maybe I laid on a little thick as she rolled her eyes, snorted, struggled with her sweater and left. Hours later the empty bottle of Captain Morgan hadn't provided the anodyne I was looking for and the gravity of my life's forelorn existence begun to pull at my psyche. I thought to myself why I am such a jerk?

"Hot Burrito #1, chips, and a Corona, that'll be $12.50." I pulled out a crumpled twenty, gave her a wink, and said keep the change. The restaurant was empty so she sat across from me and coyly asked so how's it goin? I cut into my burrito and replied well some days are better than others, not sure how this one stacks up, yet. How's your day? She stared into my eyes, took a swig of my Corona and said business has sucked ever since the authorities quelled the riot on Sunset Strip, but other than that, I'm just waiting for a guy to sweep me off my feet.

Someone walked through the door and she offered up a salty salute, got up, and brought him a menu. It was decision time. Do I do what I always do? talk sweet and nice and make a play for the waitress? Jen always said I liked to collect bimbos, she would tell her friends "Gary makes it so easy -- he truly is the man who sailed. Around his soul are the broken hearts of young, attractive empty-headed girls who thought by sleeping with him they could somehow tame his wicked soul." I would laugh and say, I'm just lucky I guess. While the sadness in her eyes told me that she was describing herself. Now Jen was gone too. The waitress came back, sat down, finished my Corona and said c'mon sailor, whaddya say those waves become wings and you take me out of here? I smiled, shook my head and said sorry babe, I got the poor boy blues and shuffled off toward the door.

Random Top Ten Fiction

Big Mak had an interesting concept to take the song titles from the Friday random top tens and use them to create a story. Last week, I created one using E-6s list. This week, I'm using my own random top 10 from last Friday. let me know what you think.

I had an uncontrollable urge to call my dad as soon as I knew the decision. He had been let down so many times before, by me mostly, he deserved to hear it straight. As his phone rang I choked back the nausea and tried to figure out what to say.

Hello? He obviously knew it was me in the other end of the line. "Hold on to yourself, I finally got the news." He was silent then said "Give it to me straight, no chaser." I tried to delay "well you know accidents will happen." We was having none of it, "I said give it to me straight!" I really wanted to hang up right then and there but couldn't. "You guessed it, I'm pregnant and it's Levi's.

"Goddamn it Bristol, you know this is going to kill your ma's career! How could you do that right now?" I thought back to mom when she would fight with dad and scream at him "your heart is an empty room." I knew exactly what she meant. "Couldn't we just for once not think about mom and her political career? "What about me? I was hoping for some sort of life that consisted of more than just a series of curtain calls in front of pasty old white men so that mom's could win a few more votes."

"What does Levi have to say about this?" dad asked, the name barely dripping off his lips. "Well I'm going to marry him, I'll be his wife" I asserted proudly. "And when I say wife, I mean that. We're in love and he supports me and the decision to keep the baby." "Bristol honey", he was trying to be sweet but it came out sinister, "run, run, run away from Levi. He's just a stupid hockey puck with no future. He may be the father but he's no dad and he certainly won't be a husband."

Well dad, I disagree. As long as I can see the light I'm going to assume it's the end of the tunnel and not a train, and besides..." Just then I heard some commotion in the background, mom was home. "Who ya talkin' to on the phone Todd?" Dad covered; "oh just some guy from the race, say babe we gotta talk." He whispered into the receiver, "come over a little later, I'll try to soften her up for you" and then he hung up.