Mark Trail Still Kicks Ass

Oh yes he does....

Mark_Trail23.gif

Mark Trail Update!

Mark_Trail.gif

I'm sorry. I promised to talk about Mark Trail on this blog and I haven't. Hopefully this post rectifies my ignoring Mark Trail and his adventures with Cherry, Doc, Rusty, and Andy.

When someone writes the ultimate history of Mark Trail 2006 will be known as the "Year of Bear." Since early summer Mark and Ranger Rick have been chasing a bear with an arrow in its ass. After that a tame bear was running around the forest chased by a wacked out poacher. Then once Mark rescues the tame bear he leaves it in his car and it gets kid(bear?)napped! Oh and the bad guys are the infamous Jake and Snake, a couple of bad hombres who Mark has messed with before.

jake and snake.gif

I find it curious that Mark Trail's Year of the Bear coincides with the rise of the football Chicago Bears. Actually I don't. Hindsight is 20-20 but it's quite obvious that the angry bear with an arrow in its ass was a metaphor for the Chicago Bears, angry over their gutless performance in last year's playoffs. The tame bear running amok, being chased by poachers obviously represents the Chicago Bears rampaging through the NFL, being chased by pretenders such as the Vikings, Packers, and Cardinals.

Finally the the "Bear" being kidnapped by the local ruffians Jake and Snake is an obvious reference to Elrod predicting the Chicago Bears in the Super Bowl probably against the best team in the AFC, the Denver Broncos, quaterbacked by Jake "The Snake" Plummer,

Mark Trail may not be able to help you with your fantasy football team, but looks like a pretty good source for your Super Bowl match-up.

Mark Trail Update

The latest episode of Mark Trail has an old grizzly bear angry because an arrow is stuck in it's ass (I kid you not) and it is terrorizing unsuspecting campers. Mark and Ranger Rick are hot on the scent of the arrow-carrying Grizzly trying to catch it before it does more harm. Unfortunately, semi-regular foil and intrepid reporter Kelly Welly is also on the beat making life miserable for Mark while at the same time letting Ranger Rick that she likes her men hunky and outdoorsy.

It doesn't take a Womyns' study major to know that Dodd and Elrod have never populated Mark Trail with strong women. Most of the women in the comic are either doe-eyed innocents needing protection or conniving Lady Macbeth types. However Kelly Welly has always been a different sort of character.

I have always thought that Kelly was (in the immortal words of David Brock) "a little bit nutty and a little bit slutty." She's always had her eye on Mark, making sure that he knew she wasn't averse to a little roll in the underbrush if Mark was ever game. While at the same time making a nuisance of herself and generally getting under Mark's skin.

However, this week, we find out a little more about Kelly's motivation. It appears that the editor at the Magazine where Kelly and Mark work always puts Kelly on the "ladies" beat - covering baking competitions and fashion shows. Kelly wants to prove that she can do the kind of manly reporting that Mark does, and do it just as well. It appears that Elrod has decided to champion the the women's movement - only 35 years late!