Children and youth that have experienced foster care, institutionalization and/or adoption often face additional struggles in school. Adoption Learning Partners and the Joint Council on International Children's Services is co-sponsoring a webinar, Adoption and Classroom Success: Beyond The Basics. The webinar will be held live Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 7:00PM Central time with a Q&A at 8:00PM. The cost of the webinar is $15.00
Presenter Heather T. Forbes will discuss how adoption experiences impact children in school.
From the webinar's description:
Circumstances prior to adoption often cause adopted children to experience school, among other things, in a different framework than other kids. Orphanage care, foster care or prenatal exposure are all events that can affect behavior as a child grows.
Heather will present tips and strategies on how to help your child be more successful at school, therefore easing some of the stress at home. Heather will cover:
- How to smooth school-related transitions
- Helping teachers understand what is driving a child's negative behaviors
- How to increase your child's motivation to succeed at school
Forbes is the author of the popular Beyond Consequences, Logic and Control: A Love Based Approach to Helping Children with Severe Behaviors.
To register for the webinar, click here.
- Adoption-Competent School Assignments
- Adoption-Friendly Curriculum
- College Aid
- Making IEPs User-Friendly
- Planning for Postsecondary Education for Students with Disabilities
- School Issues With the Youth or Teen with Attachment Issues: The Dog Ate My Homework
- The Impact of Adoption at School: Elementary Age Youth
- The Impact of Adoption at School: Junior and Senior High
- The Impact of Adoption at School: Pre-K and Kindergarten