myU OneStop

Center for Advanced Studies in Child Welfare

As of February 7, 2013, this blog has moved to its permanent location on our new website, located at http://cascw.umn.edu. New posts will be available there. This blog has also been consolidated with our two other blogs: the Stability, Permanency, and Adoption Blog and Notes from a Cluttered Desk. We also have created a new blog, Field Notes, which will...
Read the full article »
Earlier this week I read several articles (example) about Arizona Governor Jan Brewer's executive order to dismantle the state's Child Protective Services (CPS) agency under the Department of Economic Security and create a Cabinet-level division called the Division of Child Safety and Family Services that would take over CPS duties. This division would be directed by Charles Flanagan, the current...
Read the full article »
As promised from yesterday, I am continuing my "brief bill descriptions" post regarding child welfare-related bills introduced during the interim of Minnesota's 88th legislative session. Early Learning H.F. 1880: Introduced by Rep. Ryan Winkler and others, this bill would ensure that each eligible child receives an early learning scholarship. Beginning in FY2015, funding for this program would increase from $23...
Read the full article »
Although the Minnesota legislative session does not officially begin until February 25, quite a few bills were introduced in the interim on Monday. Because there are several that may impact children, youth, and families involved in child welfare (or at risk of involvement), I have decided to write two posts providing brief descriptions of these bills. Bills are sorted according...
Read the full article »
Yesterday I attended the 2014 Children and Youth Issues Briefing at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in St. Paul, MN. This briefing is held annually prior to the start of the Minnesota legislative session to discuss emerging legislative issues and initiatives that will impact children and youth in Minnesota. The event was well attended (as usual) and featured (among others) Melvin...
Read the full article »
This post is written by the Stability, Permanency, and Adoption MSW Intern, Andrea Brubaker, with additional content from editor Heidi Ombisa Skallet. Yesterday I provided some background information on adoption assistance and the Adoption and Safe Families Act. As a follow up, I will now lay out two bills about adoption incentives—The Promoting Adoption and Legal Guardianship for Children in...
Read the full article »

Recent Comments

• Denice@ Best Medical Tourism: Thank you for providing us this information. I think this read more
  • Vichi Ho: Here's an article that explains what Special Immigrant Juvenile Status read more
  • arrah26: Promoting child protection is one of the major issues of read more
  • Erin: These children are so lucky to have such an educated, read more
  • J.P.D., Washington DC: "Credit must be given to Addie Smith of NICWA for read more
  • social worker: Sometimes I think if they took the money spent on read more
  • Paul R. Jones: The proper question to be argued before the U.S. Supreme read more
  • Jessica Munday: You speak as if these children have no other ethnicity read more
  • Johnston Moore: Heidi, your response is typical of what the pro-ICWA crowd read more
  • Mark Fiddler: Heidi: I have to disagree that the language in ICWA read more