Recently in Reactions Category

The Best of All Possible Worlds

Laura Primozic
And Then There Was One (clay, wax and wood) - 3 part piece

Glaciers Melting In The Dead Of The Night (clay and wax)

These two pieces I believe to all fit together really well even though they are separate pieces. The second piece listed shows small icebergs/glaciers at a far distance from one another and a lot of open water to represent that they are melting. The other piece has an iceberg seeming to get towed away, a bunch of boats surrounding a glacier seeming to take it apart/destroy it and one that looks as if there was a giant oil spill to maybe represent the pollution and/or global warming affects. These to pieces can fit together because pollution and global warming can cause the glaciers to melt at an advanced rate and by showing the boats, that add pollution, and the pile, of what appears to be, oil containers and the spills that came with them. The used media was well chosen because it makes the subjects (water, glaciers, etc.) easier to visual and more realistic.

MN Original

On April 22, 2010, the first episode of MN Original aired on tv. After watching this episode it makes me more interested in watching more of this show as well as learn more about hidden talent. I think this show is a great idea because it's a way that local artists can get acknowledged and recognized. Recently I have been discovering local musicians through friends and Facebook, which I always find pretty neat because local artists tend not to be well known and I like spreading new findings. This show could help both the people who are included in the episodes in being discovered and help the viewers find something new to enjoy.

Where the Wild Things Are

For this analysis I looked at the different clips available on wherethewildthingsare.warnerbrothers.com and noticed that it is common to have the camera angle be from Max's (the main character) perspective and looking directly at him from his level. I think this was used in order to make the viewers seem to be more a part of this movie by becoming almost an equal to Max. This could also be used so that the viewers feel the same things Max does (to an extent) because by seeing things the same way and certain angles allow for certain feelings can give the viewers a 'bond' with the main character. Also, seeing the way Max reacts to things at his eye level allow for the viewers to get a better understanding of things going on in the film.

Are You Joking?

"Tom Poole is Joking" is the name of the 3-Minute Egg segment I chose to respond to. I found this segment interesting in the way that Tom Poole's ideas and comedic art were displayed. Tom was talking throughout a majority of the segment while showing both him talking and parts of one of his shows as well. The things that Tom talked about were interesting because I find it neat to figure out how people come up with ideas and such. Tom mentioned that he does do some comissioned works, which end up limiting his idea range. However, he does end up writing other acts whether they will end up getting published or not. I think by showing Tom Poole's interview and parts of his comedic works makes it easier to understand the kinds of projects that he does, as well as, his comedic style.

Experimental Works

In the BFA exhibit in the Quarter Gallery, Ben Lansky did Experiments #1-3. The one that caught my eye the most was Experiment #1: Attempting Simultaneous Duplication of the Documentation of an Event because it shows that you can't capture the same thing twice even using idendical equipment. The reason I found this intriguing is because it's something that is so simple, but in the way it's displayed and express makes the kind of obvious act interesting and a work of art. It was nice to see the two identical cameras displayed as well as the two attempts at taking identical photographs. The images were not the same, but they were close and all had some interest to them anyway.

Emote :)

In the BA exhibit in the west art building one of the pieces is titled Project Emoticon, FTW by Cat Pond. What caught my eye about this piece was that the two photos had the subjects' faces replaced with an emoticon that are now very commonly used. The overall composition of the photos is really nice and with the idea of replacing the way people really express their feelings with the way people express their feelings online. Also, by having several other emoticons printed and positioned in frames the way they would appear online as typed added more interest because they almost seemed as if they were positioned to tell a story using only emotions.

You Can't See Me!

Today at the Nash gallery one of the pieces that caught my eye was a Pillow Fort Barrier by Juanita Berrio. The main reason this caught my eye was the giant stack of pillows. Also there was the phrase "Or that you don't want to see us?" painted on the wall which kind of confused me until I went up to the pillow fort and looked in the openings provided. When I looked through the openings I did see the phrase "Is it that you don't see us?". After that phrase and the other phrase were put together the piece takes on a whole new meaning and makes a lot more sense. This piece makes you think about those two questions and try to make you as a viewer come up with an answer. "Is it that you don't see us? Or is it that you don't want to see us?"

The Bourne Ultimatum

The segment from this movie I chose to analyze is beginning about 5-6 minutes into the movie when the camera angle is mainly over the shoulder shots. With the camera angle over the shoulder, as a viewer, I find somewhat annoying, but at the same time I can kind of understand the reasoning. I believe the camera angle being over the shoulder creates a sense that the topic of conversation is rather secret and makes it seem as if the viewers are intruding on the conversation. The lighting in this sequence allows for only the person speaking to be seen. You can see that the face of the speaker is well lit while the other person's shoulder/head is black to try to make the effect stronger and more meaningful. Since the shots are over the shoulder, the view is rather close up and the face of the speaker are decently shown in the frame. The environment in this scene is in the corner of a small, quiet resteraunt. This environment causes the characters to speak in hushed tones (or whispers) in order to maintain the secrecy of the conversation. The colors are pretty neutral and don't have much effect on the scene as a whole.

OP_ERA: sonic dimension

This piece by Daniela Kutschat and Rejane Cantoni is an interactive media piece. The OP_ERA: sonic dimension is intended to be an open (3-sided) music box. What intrigued me most about this piece is that the use of 'rope light, violin strings' in order to create music or sounds. Since this piece gives out both light and sound waves it allows even more opportunity for someone to become more curious about the piece. Personally I would love to see it since I love music and it seems like a very creative way to let anyone to play visually appealing music. It is definitely a unique piece that most likely everyone would enjoy considering both the visual and sound appeal the OP_ERA: sonic dimension contains.

Float On By

On Tuesday, March 2, we went to the Nash gallery. One of the pieces that caught my eyes was Floating by Mayumi Amada. This piece had several blue toned flowers tied with fishing line and hanging down about a foot off the ground. What I liked was the way the flowers moved as if they were on water because of the way they were hanging and the air flow of the room. The bluish tone to the flowers added to the effect they were on water because the color relates to the color of water.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Reactions category.

Assignments is the previous category.