« RBMS Report | Main | Computer History Museum Collections »

Day in the Life, Part II

Herein the second installment of that riveting series, A Day in the Life of an Archivist. Today I spent some time working on creating what we in the biz call "vertical files" (any archivists out there know the origin of this term?). Basically, a vertical files are reference files - materials that aren't actually archival collections, but can still be useful to researchers. Vertical files might contain photocopied newspaper articles, pamphlets, or other reference material on a certain topic. I am lucky because former CBI employees kept extensive files on computing companies, individuals, and other subject areas. None of the files have, up till now, been officially accessible to researchers, but they could be a useful starting place for many research topics and so I've been moving things around, getting our new vertical files ready to be available.