Jump to menu. Jump to content. Jump to search.

Go to the CCE home page.

Follow Us: Join CCE on Facebook.  Join CCE on Google+.  Join CCE on LinkedIn. 

College of Continuing Education News

Meet Your New Transfer Specialist

janet_pelto.jpg
Janet Pelto

At age 18, on my first day at new student orientation at the University of Minnesota, Duluth (UMD), it hit me. I had found it. The "it" was what I wanted to do for a career: work with students at a college or university. And, more than 20 years later, this is still true.

During those 20-plus years, I've worked with the new student orientation program, recruited freshmen and transfer students, and served as an academic adviser for undecided freshmen as well as adults returning to school. I've spent the bulk of my professional life as a career counselor, working mostly with adults in mid-career transition, many of whom were considering going back to school.

Now, as the College of Continuing Education's (CCE) Coordinator of Recruitment and Retention, I am excited to bring all of that experience together in this new role and continue to do what I love most: working with students at a college or university. And although while recruiting (or "enrollment management," a term that didn't even exist when I was an admissions counselor in the late '70s) has become a lot more sophisticated; the goal--to help students find a next step that fits them--is still the same.

To assist you in your work with students, we have created a special web page with transfer admission information. And, watch your mailboxes! I'll be sending out a new CCE magnet with the transfer admission website address in the near future.

If you or one of your advisees would like to contact me, I can be reached at pelto001@umn.edu or 612-625-2529. I look forward to working with you and your students, and will be in touch to schedule a visit to your campus.