Design Intern position
Communications Office, University of Minnesota Extension
Center for Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences
Arts/Communications - Intermediate Level 2702
The design intern plays a vital role on the communications team, with responsibility for maintaining some of the U's most popular outreach websites. Our web presence for agriculture, food, garden and environment resources receive millions of page views per year. You will have the opportunity to develop layout, visual design, communications and web development skills in a professional studio environment. Good opportunity to grow in the position over time while you're a U student.
Pay: $10 - $12 per hour
Hours: Approx. 20 hrs/week, to be arranged. Flexible, to be arranged between 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Location: 277 Coffey Hall, St. Paul campus, University of Minnesota
Start date: Position available immediately.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to Rebecca Noran, email@example.com. Include any portfolio samples as web link, not attachment.
Website planning and production
• Assist with the planning and organization of content as needed
• Update existing websites with new assets, features and content. Produce finished web pages.
• Use Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop, and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
• Prepare digital photographs and graphics for use on the website and in other mediums
• Create PDFs from email and MSWord documents for posting
• Research information and images online. Occasional data entry and administrative assistance.
Print publication production
• Assist with print publications using Adobe InDesign; find and prepare photos for print
• Create, edit and update design files in different formats for different audiences and goals
Education: University of Minnesota student, must be eligible for student employment
Experience: Demonstrated experience preparing and maintaining high quality web pages and doing web design; demonstrated visual design experience. Additional background in editing/writing/communications a plus. Samples of web and graphic design project work will be required at interview. If applicable to your skill set, writing/editing samples will be requested.