University of Minnesota
Driven to Discover


Career Services Site


Career of the Week- Rehabilitation Counselor

Working directly with an individual with a disability or their advocates, a rehabilitation counselor is a special type of professional counselor who helps evaluate and coordinate needed services to assist people with disabilities in coping with limitations caused by such factors as cognitive and learning difficulties, environmental and societal discrimination and barriers, psychological conflict/distress, or loss of physical/functional ability. Rehabilitation counselors assist people with physical, mental, or emotional disabilities to become or remain self-sufficient, productive citizens.

Although there are no formal prerequisites, individuals interested in rehabilitation counseling should first obtain a bachelor's degree in rehabilitation services, psychology, sociology, or other human services-related field. The Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) offers voluntary national certification, which is obtained through passing a national examination and completing the required clinical experience.

The most common degree pursued for this career is a master's degree in rehabilitation counseling. Before beginning a study program, students should check their state's licensing website and local job listings to see what the educational requirements are for licensing and employment. Rehabilitation counseling programs should be accredited by the Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE) . These degree programs can be found at numerous universities.

Additional Resources:
American Rehabilitation Counseling Association
National Council on Rehabilitation Education
Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC)
American Counseling Association
National Rehabilitation Counseling Association

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

College of Education & Human Development | 612-626-9252 | 104 Burton Hall, 178 Pillsbury Dr SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455

© 2011 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.