Employer: Great Prairie, Inc.
Division: Sport and Sport Venue
Title: Communications Intern (three positions)
Department: Marketing, Communications, Sport Management, Kinesology
Reports To: President, Event Marketing Director
Status: Unpaid - hours determined by university requirements
Length of Assignment: Spring 2011 or Summer 2011 Semester
As a non-profit, Great Prairie, Inc. educates and trains individuals through sport, nutriment and
culture to achieve healthier, more sustainable lifestyles. Using education as the central core of
developing a healthy body, individuals will learn proper nutriment and heart rate training
techniques to inspire a sustainable life. This is achieved through the:
~ Enhancement and promotion of fitness and wellness
~ Production and promotion of athletic and cultural events
~ Operation of multiple-sport venues
Great Prairie has worked diligently to create two multiple sporting venues in Minneapolis-Saint
Paul: one for the Aquatic Sports and the other for the Equestrian Sports.
In 2010, Great Prairie Sports produced four athletic events:
· Great Prairie Pentathlon - participants from four different states
· Great Prairie Open Water Swim - participants from seven different states
· Great Prairie Dakota Dash - 5k Fun Run
· Great Prairie Cross County Championships - 5k, 4k and 2k distances
Great Prairie is positioned to become the Regional Training Partner with USA Pentathlon, USA
Swimming, USA Diving, USA Water Polo, USA Shooting, USA Fencing, USA Triathlon, USA
Volleyball and USA Gymnastics. A land site has been identified for the Equestrian Center and a
community building is available to begin programming various Aquatic disciplines.
For 2011, all of the events will be reproduced as well as a second Pentathlon event, the Great
Prairie Pentathlon - Wisconsin, which will be staged in the city of River Falls, Wisconsin on
Saturday, May 14 at River Falls High School and the University of Wisconsin River Falls.
JOB PURPOSE: To leverage long term value of Great Prairie, Inc. its Venues and its Festivals with
the promoting and branding through multiple channels for remarkable returns. Candidate will
be responsible for assisting the President and Event Marketing Director. Internship is available
for credit based on your institution's guidelines. Assessment by Great Prairie and Universities
provided at the end of fall and spring terms and/or at completion of the internship.
· Be PRE-active as opposed to PRO-active or RE-active: understand the Corporate and
Festival goals and learn to anticipate what is needed to advance brand recognition and
· Create, tailor, and implement a remarkable marketing strategy.
· Maintain a culture of discipline with exceptional communication and relationships with
clients, sponsors and team members.
· Understand the needs of the staff and the Festivals and seek ways to improve their impact.
· Assist in getting the right people in the right seats on the right bus heading in the right
· Help create and promote remarkable Festivals on an annual basis.
· Assist with recruitment, training and retaining an enthusiastic and exceptional volunteer
· Protect the value of Great Prairie, Inc and its Festivals by identifying, maximizing,
enhancing and incubating income streams, while identifying, minimizing and eliminating
· Research, analyze and identify market trends and characteristics that are both
complementary and detrimental to Great Prairie, Inc. and its Festivals.
· Learn to be effective and efficient with time by doing things right. Avoid the double cut.
· Have proper perspective: be productive, not busy.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
· Research and develop stakeholder relationships for maximum sponsorship
· Research and develop stakeholder relationships for maximum athlete participation.
· Research and implement marketing strategy through various channels.
· Develop four year strategic communication plan highlighting program and
· Develop Master Scheduling Plan of venue areas.
· Develop capital campaign and donation letters.
· Develop Emergency Action Plan.
· Write Code of Conduct plan.
· Coordinate Communications Plan within three areas: Development/Fundraising,
Organizational Structure and Community Relations.
· Prepare targeted media lists and maintain an updated media contact file.
· Prepare or assist in preparation of public relations materials, including but not
limited to: press releases, media alerts and press kits.
· Assist Marketing Director in oversight of event for continued success.
· Assist in research, drafting and editing of Great Prairie marketing materials
including brochures and newsletters.
· Coordinate and implement strategy with other departments and interns.
· Assist in updating sections of Great Prairie's website.
· Assist in creating and organizing responsibilities for future interns.
· Submit final report stating overall experience, suggestions for improvement;
suggestions for a more effective, efficient and streamlined department.
· Attend the 2010 Festivals and events.
· Assist with setup and execution of the Festivals and events.
· Create, write and implement a cohesive marketing strategy that caters, captures and
enhances the value of Great Prairie, Inc. and its Festivals with a creative, efficient
and effective staff.
· Advise managers and employees on marketing strategies and procedures while
measuring the performance and results of those strategies.
· Represent organization on various campuses and organizations, giving
presentations when appropriate.
· Find ways to equip staff in ways that makes Great Prairie, Inc. and its Festivals more
significant to the customer.
· Spread ideas by networking influential sneezers and markets that creates Otaku.
· Create a process to best discover the fringes that makes the Festival staff remarkable.
· Learn the art and science of projecting and personalize it.
· Increase the professionalism of Great Prairie, Inc. and its staff, interns and
· Leverage the developing strengths of Great Prairie, Inc. and its Festivals to capitalize
on branding opportunities and market distinction.
· Read/listen to various marketing books and implement your education accordingly.
· Develop database, marketing manuals and job descriptions.
· Embrace resistence and transform the no into a remarkable yes that contributes to
Great Prairie, Inc. and its Festivals.
· Be approachable, yet firm and fair in all situations and communications.
· Seek perspective - put self in the patron's and athlete's shoes.
· Persist with diligence and delegate as needed.
· Provide written evaluation and review of internship.
· All other duties as identified, developed and assigned.
· Full time college student enrolled in a higher school of learning who will qualify for
· Strong communication (verbal and written), negotiation, presentation and organizational
· Ability to multitask, meet deadlines and resolve issues with creative solutions producing
long term results.
· An understanding and/or appreciation of sport.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite.
· Able to maximize social media and planning.
· Creative with copy writing.
· Must be willing to sign a release of liability.
TO APPLY: Submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references or Great Prairie
application form to: Human Resources, 10990 40th Place North, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55441,
or email to: email@example.com. Web Page: www.greatprairiesports.com. EEO/AA