Executive Director, Teaching & Learning
FUNCTION: Drive excellence in teaching and learning across all Minneapolis Public Schools by creating strong alignment between standards, curriculum, instructional strategies and assessment, through collaboration across departments and divisions to ensure consistent rigorous learning for all students, and through implementing performance systems for content leads and other academic directors/coordinators who will report to this position.
DEPARTMENT: Academic Affairs
RESPONSIBLE TO: Chief Academic Officer
· Current administrative or teaching license
· Masters Degree, preferably in an academic discipline, or equivalent education and experience
· Minimum of three years of public school teaching experience
· Minimum of five years experience in research-based curriculum planning, development and assessment
· Demonstrated leadership in K-12 comprehensive curriculum implementation in an urban school district
· K-12 principal experience preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
· Excellent organizational, planning and project management abilities
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
· Ability to formulate a clear and compelling big picture vision with the capacity to help every staff person see their role in advancing that vision
· Working knowledge of learning theory, program planning, curriculum development, staff development, and management of educational programs
· Working knowledge of a wide range of instructional methodologies, assessment and curriculum standards
· Strong leadership skills and proven experience developing and managing a team and within a complex organization
· Data driven approach to decision making (both quantitative & qualitative)
· Working knowledge of national, state, and district educational goals and standards
· Facility in managing/resolving interpersonal and organizational conflict
· "Can-do" attitude and willingness to do whatever it takes to make things happen
· Focus on priorities, but flexible to adapt to evolving needs and context
· Knowledge of the following:
a. National Staff Development Standards
b. National Standards of Effective Instruction; National Board of Teaching Standards
c. Minnesota State legislation regarding curriculum, instruction, testing etc.
d. Minnesota State legislation related to professional pay/alternative compensation programs
e. NCLB and Title rules and regulations
f. Minnesota graduation requirements
g. Minnesota academic standards - all disciplines
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Lead the Teaching and Learning Department to create a shared and compelling vision of excellence in teaching and learning for all MPS students.
* Build systems and processes to support the content leads and directors in daily management of projects, purposeful supervision of individual and team performance, and the construction of benchmarks and metrics to assess department and area goals/progress.
* Ensure careful implementation of major instructional initiatives including curriculum implementation and professional learning goals across all sites.
* Clearly communicate vision, goals and project work updates to key stakeholders.
* Provide consistent customer service to principals and school staff. Assess the effectiveness of that service.
* Direct, coordinate and provide support for the development of intervention strategies for students needing additional support.
* Ensure that the curriculum of the Minneapolis Public Schools reflects the racial and cultural diversity of its students and that all teachers engage in professional learning that promotes their cultural competence.
* Ensure that technology is appropriately integrated into the K-12 curriculum and that technology is effectively used to support instructional programs.
* Ensure continuity between district core curriculum, and summer school/after school opportunities.
* Increase parental and community awareness of the curriculum, educational programs and the achievement of students.
* Direct budget preparation, management and accountability for those areas accountable to the Executive Director of Teaching and Learning.
* Advise on the selection and appointment of personnel within the Teaching and Learning Department.
* Performs related work as assigned.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
· Normal office environment
· Frequent travel to other school district sites
SALARY: ELT Benefit Plan, $101,107-$118,949 (please note: salary TBD based upon completion of job compensation study)
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT: Emily Puetz, Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org
METHOD OF APPLICATION: All applicants, including MPS employees, must complete an on-line application at www.mpls.k12.mn.us (click on employment). In addition, upload an electronic copy of both your cover letter and resume to your application at the time that you apply. Make sure that you apply for the specific position in which you are interested. Only complete applications, which include all of the following items, will be considered:
- Cover Letter
- On-Line Application
Final candidates may be invited to interview with a committee. Final appointment to this position will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION POLICY:Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, marital status, age, sexual preference, disability or status with regard to public assistance.
The Minneapolis Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action School District