University of Minnesota
Driven to Discover

Wes Moore

So last Friday we had a visit from author Wes Moore. He is the author of CEHD's mandatory read The Other Wes Moore. Everyone in my college has read this book and had to attend this visit. It took place from 7:30 pm to about 9 pm (to the dismay of many students ready for their weekend to begin). But Wes was very capturing in the way he spoke to us. If you have not read the book I highly recommend it. It is a true story based on actual events in his life and others'. The story goes like this: Wes came from a rough background and caused some trouble as an adolescent--trouble that very well could've landed in jail. But through the support of his family he became a decorated veteran, a Rhodes Scholar, a business leader, and a White House Fellow. He saw the story of a man with his same name who was sentenced to life in prison for the murder of a police officer. He couldn't shake the story and through further research Wes discovered that their lives were parallel: they were born blocks apart within a year of each other, grew up without fathers, hung out in similar neighborhoods and ran into trouble with police. As the back of the book reads, "The chilling truth is that his story could have been mine. The tragedy is that my story could have been his." It is a moving book which I personally enjoyed reading very much. Wes's brilliance shows through in his writing and he carried that brilliance through in his visit with us. Though he claims to be a shy speaker, he didn't show it in the least. Seeing him and hearing his story in person made it even more real and brought the book to life for me. Unfortunately I was unable to get my book signed, but I feel lucky enough that I got to hear him speak. It was a real treat.

College of Education & Human Development
cehd@umn.edu | 612-626-9252 | 104 Burton Hall, 178 Pillsbury Dr SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455

© 2009 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.