myU OneStop

CEHD News.

Main | Ph.D. graduate publishes as lead author in Research in Developmental Disabilities »

How (not) to say 'I'm sorry'

William DohertyFamily social science professor William Doherty shared some thoughts recently on how high-profile figures like Anthony Weiner should (or should not) apologize for their behavior. "A mistake is turning the wrong way down a one-way street or forgetting to get an anniversary present," Doherty said in "Better safe than sorry" in the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "A pattern of online relationships with multiple women requires more than 'I regret my mistakes, and I know I've hurt you.'"

The article captures the opinions of Doherty and two other local experts on the recent stories of celebrity missteps and subsequent mea culpas, including Weiner, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gilbert Gottfried, Charlie Sheen, and Lindsay Lohan.

Type the characters you see in the picture above.