University of Minnesota
Driven to Discover

Birthday of Wonderful

Tuesday, January 29 happened to be my 20th birthday. It is hard to be away from my family especially on my birthday, but this year I surprisingly had a wonderful birthday. I had to go to three classes, which is never fun, but after class I could officially start my birthday celebration. I went over to my best friend's house and she surprised me with cake, cupcakes, and a present. 

565894_10151325139557893_1540564012_n.jpeg

After cake and presents, I went with two of my best friends to the Mall of America. We went shopping, and I got some new clothes, but my favorite part of the mall was not the shopping. My favorite part was going to Nickelodeon Universe theme park. Since it was a Tuesday night, there was no one there and no lines to go on the rides. We would go on the roller coaster and just ask the worker if we could stay on and go again, and they let us because no one else was there. I love roller coasters and I love rides, so this was probably the most fun I have had on my birthday. 

ferriswheel.jpg

After the rides, we went upstairs to the fourth floor of the mall and ate dinner at Bubba Gumps. This happens to be one of my favorite restaurants. I love Forrest Gump, and I love seafood so it was perfect. The food was delicious. We finally left the mall and went to meet up with some more friends at Annie's in Dinkytown. This is my favorite restaurant on campus because they have the best milkshakes I have ever tasted. I am obsessed with the milkshakes. After Annie's I went over to my friend's house for a "birthday sleepover". It was still my birthday so I couldn't just go home and go to bed. I wanted to make it last as long as possible.

Although I was bummed to leave behind my teenage years, I had one of the best birthdays, and I couldn't be more grateful to have such wonderful friends and family. I can no longer be a teen, and will never have those years back, but I want to make the best out of my 20's, have the best years be in my 20's so when I turn 30 I can look back and be satisfied with how I spent those years. I feel like a new person, older and wiser. Turning 20 is going to be good for me and a blessing in my life. 

Tags

New Years Resolutions

This year I decided to make a list of New Years Resolutions. I thought it might motivate me to do more things that I need or want to do. Like most people, I am going to try and eat healthier while eating out less. This would normally be a difficult resolution for me, but I am also trying to save money, and eating out means spending a lot of money. Along with healthier eating brings other healthy lifestyle habits. I want to exercise a lot more this semester. Already I have put off going to the gym because it is so cold outside, and it takes me almost 30 minutes to walk there. Hopefully when the weather is better I will be able to do this resolution. One of my most important resolutions for 2013 is working harder in school. Last semester, I did not use my time wisely and did not spend enough time each day studying. I really need to work on time management and making myself go to the library more often. I didn't get bad grades last semester, but I didn't get as many A's as I wanted. This semester my goal is to get more A's. It sounds so easy to write that I am going to do all of these things when in reality, it is not that easy. Hopefully writing these things down will encourage me to work harder on my goals this semester. It is a new year, with new classes, and I believe change is a great thing. Succeeding at my resolutions is definitely at the top of my New Year's Resolutions 2013 list. 

Tags

Art

This semester I am taking my first art class since middle school. At first I was nervous because it is called Creating Identities Through Performing Arts, and I do not act or like to be up in front of people. However, I talked to some friends who took the class, and they told me I would love it. I have only had one class so far, and it is somewhat interesting. It's not just performing arts, but more of an art class where we learn about all different kinds of art. We will be looking at paintings, drawings, poetry, and literature. I don't think I have any art ability, but it will be fun to do all different things throughout the semester. My next class involves walking around outside observing different types of art on campus. I love the fact that we will be walking and not sitting for two hours in a classroom. Hopefully the class remains fun and interesting like I think it will because I am just not up for "performing art" in front of anyone. 

Tags

Winter Break

Although it is great to be back on campus, I am sad that my winter break has come to an end. During the month that I had off from school, I spent my time in Marco Island, Florida. I didn't have to work or study or worry about anything. It was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable vacations I have had in a long time. I spent most of the time going to the beach, swimming in the pool, or boating around the island. The best thing about being in Florida was the weather. I didn't have to sit at home in Wisconsin for a month, confined to my house because it is too cold to do anything outside. In Florida, I could run outside, wear sandals, and lay in the sun. I spent a lot of time with my family as well. 

This is a picture of my 1-year-old nephew on a boat in Orlando. 

IMG_2789.JPG

Eventually, I had to return to the Minnesota cold. Going from 80 degrees to -10 is not easy. However I am excited to be back with all my friends, and excited for a new year and new semester. My New Year's resolution is to get better grades this semester, and with the classes that I am taking I think I will be fine. 

Tags

Living at the Library

Us students have finally reached the end of the semester; one week away from finals. It is the one week that the library becomes a temporary "home". I have come to the library every day this week and stay until it closes at midnight. In fact, I am at the library at this very moment. This is the one week of the semester that is the most difficult to get through. The only choice I have so that I do well on my finals is to spend this week studying at all hours of the day, stopping only to eat or sleep. Finals in college are rough. Occasionally you get the cool professor who decides that the final can take place on the last day of class so you can be done with it a week earlier. In this case, the finals are shorter and easier so it can fit in the 1 hour and 15 minute time period. Other finals take place on the very last day of fall semester; the very last day in which finals can be taken. While students can be done as early as the 14th of December, my last exam is on the 18th. Fortunately, that is a few days before the last day of finals. My last exam will be the most challenging so I guess it is actually a good thing it is later. I will have more time to study for it. I am somewhat nervous for this exam because it is cumulative and covers a total of 17 chapters. These chapters are each very very very very long. I was so sad when I found out that the final was cumulative because usually they just cover everything from after the last exam. This is one of the main reasons I am "living" at the library this week, and I am really hoping it pays off!

Tags

Delightful December

It is finally December and for me that means only 25 days until Christmas! The only problem I have with December is that the last few weeks of school are demanding, and a lot of time will have to be spent at the library. Hopefully my finals won't be too difficult.

I usually go to Walter Library to study. If I am at home studying, there are too many distractions. I can easily decide to go to bed or take a break. At the library, the only thing to do is study. If I push myself to actually go to the library more often then I am likely to do well on my finals.

On the other hand, the last few weeks of the semester are the most exciting. I have been doing a lot of Christmas shopping and preparing for my trip to Florida. I love the holidays and I can't wait to see my family again!

Tags

Thanksgiving

I am so happy to be home for the weekend for Thanksgiving. Yesterday we had 65 degree weather so it was just a perfect day! I went for a run in a t-shirt and shorts and couldn't believe it was November 22. Last Thanksgiving we actually had a lot of snow. I remember driving home and seeing cars on the side of the road because of how icy the roads were. This year my family was outside playing baseball and kickball enjoying such beautiful weather. Unfortunately today on Black Friday the weather dropped a whopping 35 degrees. I went shopping in my winter coat and was sad that the warm weather had lasted only a day.

Today, we bought a Christmas tree and decorated it. Even though I am going back to school on Sunday, I am still happy to have been able to decorate it this year and see it up. My one-year-old baby nephew actually put some of his own ornaments on the tree. It was really fun being able to see him this weekend because he just started walking and is the most adorable little boy ever. I will miss him a lot when I go back to school.

Tonight I am going to go see some of my high school friends. This is basically the only weekend I will be able to see them until the summer because I won't be home for Christmas this year. I am really excited to catch up with everyone.

So far, I've had a very nice weekend home and will be sad to get back to school and studying for exams and writing papers, but Christmas is only a few weeks away now so at least I have that to look forward to. I am pretty sure it is my favorite holiday. I have already been listening to Christmas music. I love it so much!

Tags

Volleyball Playoffs

This past week my intramural volleyball team were in the playoffs. We had to win at least three regular season games to qualify for the playoffs. Luckily we had won four games total. Our team was confident going into the games because we made it all the way to the championship game last year. We were eager to get there again but win it all this time. We won our first game in the playoffs and everyone was so excited because things were looking good for us. The next playoff game was the very next night. My whole team was able to make it and prepared to win. Unfortunately the team we were up against had some very talented players. They were all clearly high school varsity players. Our league is C-league so the easiest league out of all of the leagues. The team that we played that night should not have been in C-league because I can't imagine what team would be better than them. We have an excellent team so we kept with them and kept the score close. Unfortunately we just couldn't manage enough points to beat them. All of my teammates were kind of sad, but we are all looking forward to next semester. We have seniors on our team so I know that they will want to actually win the championships next time for their last season. I know that I want to because it will be the last time our team will all be together. I am happy we still ended this season on a good note giving us much confidence for next season.

Tags

College of Education & Human Development
cehd@umn.edu | 612-626-9252 | 104 Burton Hall, 178 Pillsbury Dr SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455

© 2009 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.