University of Minnesota
Driven to Discover

Study Habit Transition

For me, coming to college meant drastically changing my study habits. In high school, homework was something I did during the school day. I always had enough time to complete my assignments in class before going home. Once I got to college, I quickly realized the huge change. Class time is short, and homework is hours upon hours everyday. I go to class, take notes, and come back to my room to spend a large chunk of time doing my homework. 
It was not easy for me to make this adjustment. I am so used to not having homework, that forcing myself to actually pick up my books and begin to study has become a real challenge. I feel like it has been getting easier week by week but only barely. With this challenge also comes stress. I get so stressed out about how much I have to study that I spend more time worrying than actually learning. Only a little more than a week and then it will be Thanksgiving, and shortly after that the semester is over. I am hopeful that next semester, I will officially have gotten into a comfortable study routine so I don't have to be so stressed out. 

College of Education & Human Development
cehd@umn.edu | 612-626-9252 | 104 Burton Hall, 178 Pillsbury Dr SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455

© 2009 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.