University of Minnesota
Driven to Discover

Back In The Classroom

As an elementary education major I volunteer regularly in an elementary school classroom. Yesterday was my first day back since last year, and it was so exciting to be around little kids again. I help a teacher with her 5th grade class for about an hour, two days a week. Yesterday I went to help the kids during their writing lessons. Each student keeps a journal and is supposed to write stories in it regularly. I was so surprised by their eagerness to share their stories with me. It was really interesting to hear a 10 year-old's thoughts and feelings about life. One girl told me all about the ups and downs in her relationship with her best friend. I was impressed by how she included themes and morals to her story. I am looking forward to another year of volunteering at this school. Especially because the class this year seems more outgoing and more willing to accept my help.

College of Education & Human Development
cehd@umn.edu | 612-626-9252 | 104 Burton Hall, 178 Pillsbury Dr SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455

© 2009 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.