University of Minnesota
Driven to Discover

Job Interview

Yesterday I had a job interview for a program that works with tutoring and mentoring elementary school children in the twin cities. Like most people, I was really nervous before the interview. I am not much of a smooth talker (hence the reason I like being a blogger) so interviews are not my thing. In most interviews you never actually know what the interviewers actually thought of you at the end. They don't show very much facial expression and rarely say anything that is not a question. I understand that that is what they are supposed to do but it leaves you having no clue if you'll get the job or not. Most of the questions were easy to answer, but there are always those questions that leave you stumped. "What are your weaknesses?". Do you admit to having weaknesses and hope they are weaknesses the employers will overlook, or do you say you don't have any weaknesses and risk looking like someone who is more self-centered than selfless? Questions like that almost always lower my chances of getting the job. However, because I have had a few job interview experiences, I feel like I'm learning a lot from my mistakes every time, and I can only improve for future interviews.

College of Education & Human Development
cehd@umn.edu | 612-626-9252 | 104 Burton Hall, 178 Pillsbury Dr SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455

© 2009 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.