University of Minnesota
Driven to Discover

Alternative to Microsoft Office (seriously)

So for students, did you know that you can actually purchase Microsoft Office from the U of M for half the price of what its worth. Now thats one heck of a deal if you ask me but for those that just graduated or aren't going to the U of M anymore there is an alternative.

The program that I am talking about is called Open Office. It's free and has all the essential you need to do your homework or you work assignments. For example they have excel, powerpoint, paint, and word documents. The awesome thing too is that they are compatable with microsoft word so there shouldn't be any big issues with that as well. So if you're looking for a software that will do all the tricks of what Microsoft Office does then Open Office is the best alternative.

Tags | |

Google Drive

So I just recently decided to try out Google Drive which is essentially an online hardrive that stores all you files. You basically have the ability to access these files from anywhere, your phone, you work computer, or your home computer... Now that is convience!!!

What I love about Google Drive is that if you edit and save files for one computer, it automatically updates all the files so your other computers will have the same updates. Lastly, the best part is that it really benefits those of us who are constantly on the go and hate the hassle of  emailing assignments to our selves.

For us U of M students, we already have gmail accounts so we can easily access Google Drive and for those of you who don't have gmail accounts, you should definitely get it because it is super convenient.

Tags |

Duluth Road Trip

Just got back from Duluth earlier this morning and their is definitely alot of construction on the roads. I decided to go up on Wednesday to help a friend pack up his belonging as he too just graduate. I definitely had a great time up there and look forward to swimming in Lake Superior this summer.

Have a great day everyone!

Tags |

Ice Cream Treat

Just got back from Conny's Creamy Cone which is an awesome ice cream shop. They even have 26 different flavored ice cream flavors like bubble gum, espresso, butterscotch, and a whole lot more that even I have never heard of. The best part is that they are really cheap prices.

I ended up ordering an espresso ice cream cone and cheese curds. All I can say is that both were delicious!!!!

connie corner shot.jpg
conny outside shot.jpgconny menu.jpg

Tags

Twins Vs Angles

So yesterday I was able to get 5 free tickets from my favorite non-profit organization ACES and I decided to take my friend, little brother, nephew, and niece.It was an exciting time for my younger family members because it was their first time at a Twins game. The first thing we ordered when we got there were the "Dinger Dogs" which is a footlong hot dog. Then we ordered fries and a large pepsi. We then topped things off with cotton candy.

As good as the food was, the game was not so good. We eventually had to see the Twins fall to the Angels 6-2. However, on a brighter note, my kids got to see an official homerun from left fielder Josh Willingham. Additionally, they also got to see the fireworks that came after the homerun.

I guess you can say that this was a success because my kids got to enjoy an outdoor baseball game, eat great tasting food, and see many of the in game festivities.

me balcony 2.JPG
mid view 3.JPGmid view 2.JPG
close up base view.JPG

Tags |

NFL Draft Conclusion

So the Vikings just concluded the draft this past weekend and we were able to get so many new players into the organization. First Vikings traded away their #3 overall pick for the #4 overall to select Matt Kalil and a few other late picks. Then with those extra picks we came back into the 1st round and got a safety Harrison Smith. Then in the 3rd round we got the faster cornerback at the NFL combine. Followed by 2 recievers, a tight end, a cornerback, a kicker, a linebacker, and a defensive lineman. This draft in my opinion was a great draft because we the VIkings literally injected a lot of young guys into the team and really talented players that could potentially develop into starters in the future. I am seriously very excited to see these guys play especially Matt Kalil and Harrison Smith.

Welcome to the team guys!

Tags | |

NFL Draft

So next week is the NFL draft starting with the first round that will begin Thursday and rounds 2-3 on Friday and 4-7 on Saturday. The draft is essentially the selection of college players and is a great way to bring younger players onto your team. It is also the best way to build a good team. For example, teams like Green Bay have done a great job of drafting players which has led to its recent strings of successful seasons. For me personally, I enjoy this time because I am very interested in the new players that will be coming into the Minnesota Vikings team. Additionally most mock drafts have the Vikings selecting Matt Kalil at the number 3 spot in the first round and either a cornerback or receiver in the second round. Whatever the case it maybe, I am just excited to hear about some football news and bring new excitement to the team next year!

Lets go Vikings! 

Tags | |

Timberwolves Update

Had a great time with the my family yesterday at the game against Memphis. Even though I wasn't as focused on the game as I usually am I still had a great time. My family also had a great time with all the festivities that were there like trying to get featured on the jumbotron or  just enjoying the half time shows. Here are a few other highlights of my night:

free samples of licorice candy
free samples of chips
received a buy one get one free pretzel for first 500 fans
got to meet crunch
ate loaded potatoes, fresh cut fries, ice cream, pretzel, and hotdogs

The best part of my night was knowing that even though we lost, my family truly had a wonderful experience at the game

Little nephew meeting Crunch for the first time!
P4171016.JPG
Little brother comparing shoe size...P4171006.JPG
nephew comparing shoe size...P4171007.JPGshoot arounds!!!
P4171026.JPG

Tags | | |

College of Education & Human Development
cehd@umn.edu | 612-626-9252 | 104 Burton Hall, 178 Pillsbury Dr SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455

© 2009 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.