University of Minnesota
Driven to Discover

Professionalism,

I guess I'm at the point where I can kind of talk about what being professional is. I may still be a student...but I feel like the 3 years that I have dedicated to my program gives me enough experience to say that, professionalism comes in many different forms. But the most important piece of it, is being honest about who you are, and what you represent.

No one can be professional if they don't know what they are representing and have no interest in what they are doing...that is what JOBS are for...careers on the other hand, are another story.

Here's what profession means:
a calling requiring specialized knowledge and often long and intensive academic preparation

When you want to become a professional, that is when you find your calling, also partly why we all continue to pursue higher education - to make sure we attain what we want out of life and are specialized in it. When a person is a professional, they carry themselves in a different way and in a different manner. They are open to changes and open to discussion, even if it's against what they feel, they still take the time to understand and learn it.

Being professional from what I have learned as a student, means that one is willing to dedicate time, energy, money, and hard work to sustain what they believe in and what they are doing. If one is unwilling to dedicate any work into a career or a profession, then that is probably not the profession for you at all. You also must be clear and concise about your own goals, and how you is gong to achieve it. If you have no idea what you want, then you need to step our of your comfort zone and explore what you want, only then will you know what your calling is, and will want to dedicate as much as you need to, to accomplish your goal.

College of Education & Human Development
cehd@umn.edu | 612-626-9252 | 104 Burton Hall, 178 Pillsbury Dr SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455

© 2009 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.